Topic: Windshield. Glass seal

4ford    -- 06-23-2013 @ 6:38 AM
  What is the best way to seal the windshield on my 41 coupe. Old glass new rubber fresh paint around and all cleaned up and it leaks in the rain. Comes up around the back side and down the dash. Any sealer that works and where to put it?.

Thank you!!!!!!

kubes40    -- 06-23-2013 @ 7:13 AM
  I can no longer recall what the product is you should use. It can be had through any good automotive glass shop. It is black and tar like. Do NOT use any type of silicone product. It WILL de-laminate the glass.

trjford8    -- 06-23-2013 @ 7:28 AM
  Use Napa Auto Parts windshield sealer ,part #4121. Mask around the edges of the gasket so not to get the sealer on the paint(it will clean off, but the tape makes cleanup much easier). Drake makes a tool that you can slip under the gasket to lift it up in order to get the sealer behind the gasket. Put sealer between the body and the gasket and between the gasket and the glass for a good seal. I usually put the sealer between the gasket and the glass from the inside.

deuce_roadster    -- 06-23-2013 @ 8:15 AM
  Glass shops around here use a liquid butyl rubber that is in a pistol grip can like an oil can with a flexible tube that has a special tip to reach in behind the rubber flap. Stop by any automotive glass shop and they can take care of that easily and quickly. It is expensive and not worth buying a whole can for the small amount you will need.

supereal    -- 06-24-2013 @ 8:37 AM
  I like to seal the outside of the windshield gasket so water doesn't accumulate between the gasket and the metal edge of the opening to cause rust. We mask off the body around the gasket, pull back the edge of the gasket, and apply sealer. We use 3M sealer, available at most parts stores. It dries quicky, and is hard to remove any that gets outside the seal. That is why we mask the area with painter's tape. We use the same tool as we use to install glass. It is an old screwdrived with the tip bent at a right angle, to pull back the edge of the gasket.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6210