Topic: Squealing noise

scott554    -- 06-20-2013 @ 3:51 PM
  Well I have a question for all the experts out here, I have a squealing noise coming from the engine compartment, I have rebuilt the Generator and installed Skips pumps and replaced the belts, is the anything else I can check I am not thinking of I cannot pinpoint the noise and am starting to get frustrated a little. The noise is not all the time and sometimes gets worse when accelerating or just giving gas then stops. Thanks for any suggestions.

Stroker    -- 06-20-2013 @ 4:36 PM
  Sure sounds like a belt issue to me. Years ago, they used to make "belt dressing", which imparted a tacky grip surface to the belt. Since the advent of serpentine belt systems, these products have vanished from the parts counters. Still, you might make sure you have the correct cross-section belt, as many over-the-counter belts are not correct for early Fords. Over tightening is not the best solution, as that can cause water pump and generator bearing problems.

I've always considered that about 1/2 inch deflection with a "thumb push" between the generator and water pumps was about right. If the belt doesn't have the correct cross-section, it can bottom out on the pulleys, which unloads the side gripping surface.

supereal    -- 06-20-2013 @ 7:24 PM
  I agree with my friend Stroker. Ordinary V belts often have the wrong pitch. A V belt of the wrong type will bottom in the pulley, instead of being gripped by the sides.. This is a particular problem in old Fords, as overtightening will ruin the water pump bushings. Did the generator armature turn freely after you reassembled it? Did you prelube the rear bushing? If it is binding, it will make the belt slip. The generator is already a heavy load on the belt. You didn't mention the year of your car. If you have separate belt for the fan, be sure it is correctly tensioned, and check all pulleys to be sure they are aligned with each other.

ford38v8    -- 06-20-2013 @ 11:01 PM
  Supereal almost hit it on the head with his advice about the rear generator bushing. Almost. The squeel is the bushing itself. The early generator has an oil cap with felt inside. This felt must be oiled regularly, failure to do so will cause the bushing to heat up and squeel loudly. Motor oil will do nicely.

Alan

scott554    -- 06-21-2013 @ 4:12 AM
  Thanks for all the replies, first I have a 50 shoebox my bad. I had the generator rebuilt at local shop, he was recommended by local ford club. I guess I am going to try new belts, I ordered the new ones on line as supposed factory replacement so I will start looking around here in Dallas for some new ones.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6201