Topic: June 19 Grand national tour

FrankM-RG5    -- 06-19-2013 @ 10:07 PM
  Busy day today. We started with the judges' breakfast where the teams get together to coordinate their day on the field. I was in the 49-53 closed car class and Bob P was the deputy judge. The deputy judge will assign tasks and make sure all the judging forms are filled out correctly. He also has the final say on point deductions and is the liaison with the owner of the car.
Breakfast was over by 8:30 and judging did not start until 10. I stopped back at the room and Fred had come back from breakfast and was excited to tell me that he sat down with a stranger for coffee and found out they had so much in common. The gentleman likes old cars and had a degree in theology. Plus his parent had immigrated from Germany as had Fred's. He credited my philosophy of dining with a stranger while on vacation.
The judging was rather uneventful as we ended up with just a station wagon chassis to judge as well as a 51 Ford. Usually a team will be assigned at least 5 or 6 cars. But that is all we had in our class. You may notice a lot more cars out there but they are in a touring class which is decided by popular vote.
It is really neat being on the west coast and seeing a lot of cars I had never seen before. I took quite a few pictures and you will see some very pretty cars. When these were built they were just old Fords but today they look like works of are compared to the boxes we see today.
I spent the day meeting and talking with a lot of different people. I have met so many that I am on sensory overload trying to remember everyone. I took pictures and may caption a few but I think most speak for themselves.
Florence and Debi have been our social coordinators for the week, making reservations for supper for our group. Tonight we went to the country club about a quarter mile away. A bit pricey but the view and the food made it worthwhile. We had a great meal and shared a lot of laughs as we have been doing all week.
I have been on the road for over two weeks and each day is planned but still filled with spontaneity. Bill told me we plan to leave at 8 on Friday morning. I said but if we want to leave earlier or later that is ok. He said yes. So we are continuing to do what we have been doing all along. I have not seen too much of John this week but I imagine we will be traveling together on the way back. We seem to click as traveling partners.
Here is link. I think it might show pics in reverse sequence. I could not rearrange them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97420130@N04/

This message was edited by FrankM-RG5 on 6-19-13 @ 10:51 PM

JM    -- 06-20-2013 @ 4:00 AM
  Frank, I'm having a great time here at Tahoe and looking forward to our adventures on the drive back east.
Saw so many beautiful Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles here on the show field and everywhere I go around the Tahoe area.
A big thanks to all the volunteers who have worked so hard to put this meet together.
My only disappointment here at the GNM has been a very negative encounter with the Rouge Class Deputy Judge.
Looking forward to driving my '35 fordor today on the tour around Tahoe.

John

JM    -- 06-20-2013 @ 6:12 AM
  Eliminated duplicate post

This message was edited by JM on 6-20-13 @ 6:17 AM

Big Red 51    -- 06-20-2013 @ 7:57 AM
  Frank, Thanks for posting all the nice pictures and narrative. Next best thing to being there. Sounds like all those nice '49 to '53 closed cars on the tour were in the Touring Classes. Since you guys were on a "long" Tour, I guess that is appropriate.
Thanks, Don

johnfitz52    -- 06-21-2013 @ 4:33 PM
  Frank you are still doing a fantastic job!
I hope you continue to give a daily report on your way back home.
Enjoy your trip back; you will miss our ice cream run, so I'll eat an extra one in your honor.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6197