Topic: Carburetor Fuel Inlet Needle and Seat

carcrazy    -- 06-18-2013 @ 2:35 PM
  What is the best type of carburetor needle and seat assembly to use? Has anyone had experience with the Grosse jet type of fuel inlet assembly? Where is a good place to purchase one to fit a Holley 94 carburetor. I recently helped a friend get his 1948 Ford pickup truck running for the first time after it had been setting outside for a couple of years. It has an electric fuel pump which was delivering clean fuel to the carburetor but the engine had no fuel in the carburetor float bowl. When I removed the float bowl cover, I discovered that the rubber part of the needle and seat assembly was stuck closed - evidently the fuel pressure was not sufficient to open the valve. We used air pressure from an air compressor to open the needle and seat assembly for a quick fix to get the vehicle running. We would like to purchase a Grosse jet assembly to prevent this from ever happening again. When using a Grosse jet assembly in a Holley 94 type of carburetor what float setting should be used? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

supereal    -- 06-18-2013 @ 2:58 PM
  I used Grose valves in Model A's, but never needed one on later cars.Some float needle tips were coated with, or made with polymer tips, which were not alcohol proof. If you have one of those, replace it. A carb bowl actually holds little fuel. Any sticking of the float valve interferes with smooth operation, particularly on hard pulls. A properly set float level is essential for reliable operation.

40 Coupe    -- 06-19-2013 @ 4:46 AM
  The original style steel needle is very good and works on todays fuel.

TomO    -- 06-20-2013 @ 9:03 AM
  I have found that the Gross jet type needle valve is unreliable in the 94 Carburetor. They seem to have problems shutting off the fuel supply.

The new kits come with a Viton needle valve, which seem to work very well. The rubber tipped needle valves will stick. The Viton tip has a sheen and the rubber tip is dull. Take the time to clean the new Viton tip with some fresh fuel and a clean rag for better performance. New kits are available from Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, Napa and many other local parts houses.

The steel needle valves work very well and are available from Ken's carburetors in Connecticut.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 06-20-2013 @ 9:19 AM
  Thanks to all for the information.

ken ct.    -- 06-23-2013 @ 10:15 PM
  I have original steel needles in ford script pkg's $20 + $3 shipping. ken ct. Call on cell only 1-203-260-5945

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6190