Topic: Horn Problem

joe b    -- 06-18-2013 @ 10:12 AM
  The horns on my '41 quit working. I checked the output at the relay and was getting no power. Replaced the relay and they worked for about 6 weeks. They are not working properly again.
When I push the horn button I am getting an electrical tingle. Not always but about every third try or so. Also the horns are making a buzzing sound. Suggestion?

supereal    -- 06-18-2013 @ 3:12 PM
  If you are getting a "buzz" from the horn ring or button, the relay is working. It is likely that the contact points in the horns are the problem. Next to the starter, horns draw the most current. Pull off the horn rear covers and clean the contacts. Adjust them until each horn sounds. Be sure the horns have a good ground, too.

juergen    -- 06-19-2013 @ 3:53 AM
  I would first check if the horns work by bypassing the relay. Jump the hot terminal on the relay to the terminal going to the horns. If they sound, then the problem is elsewhere.

I would check the ground for the relay and the horn button. If you feel a slight tingling, it suggests that there is voltage at the horn button when you supposedly ground it. The voltage is causing current to go through your body. This should be at ground.

joe b    -- 06-19-2013 @ 1:36 PM
  Per super's suggestion I removed the cover on the back of the top horn to check and clean the contacts. A friend came over and I had him listen for the buzz. Pressed the horn button and the horns worked great. Still get a tingle now and then. How do I address this?

supereal    -- 06-19-2013 @ 2:42 PM
  The original horn circuit had a resistance wire in series with the horn button or ring. You can put a one ohm resistor in series with the wire to the button, or between that wire and the relay terminal. The buzz is generated by the collapse of the magnetic field around the coil in the relay, sort of like a small ignition coil. Normally, it isn't much of a tingle.

TomO    -- 06-20-2013 @ 8:45 AM
  If you are getting a buzzing sound from the horns, the horn relay is the most likely suspect. The buzzing comes from not getting enough current to the horn motors.

If you have the original style horn relay (4 terminals and a hook for the wires), you can remove the cover and clean the contacts with a burnishing blade or try spraying them with tuner cleaner.

The 1 ohm resister in the horn button circuit will eliminate the tingle.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6188