Topic: Grand National June 17 2010

FrankM-RG5    -- 06-17-2013 @ 10:41 PM
  First day of the meet here and there is not a lot to report but in a way there is. The weather here is warm and sunny during the day and in the 40s at night. I did not drive my car anywhere for the first time in a while. I just kicked back, hung around and met up with old friends while making new ones. A lot of people are in awe that I drove here. I am in awe of all the people that have been reading about my trip. People see my name and tell me how much they are enjoying my stories. I have become a bit of a celebrity.
Which brings us to a funny story. Our national president drives a 50 convertible which looks something like my car but is yellow not gray. A 36 roadster pulled in as he was getting gas and asked him if he was Frank? He said, “No, I’m Ken.” And the reply was, “You’re not Frank who has been writing the blog?” “No, I’m Ken B****.” He says, “That name sounds familiar”. Ken asked him if he got the V8 Times to which he replied, yes. Ken then told him that he writes the article on page 1, which is the President’s Message. He then realized he was talking to the national president. Not me.
Well the story got around a little bit and my friend Larry walked up to him at the welcoming party and inserted a card in Ken’s name lanyard that said, “Frank Miller wannabe.” Well we all had a good laugh and this will be one story not easily forgotten.
The guys and gals from California have been working their butts off to make this happen. I thank them whenever I get a chance and ask if they need help with anything. Having run a national meet before I am sympathetic to their being overworked and stressed as they only have one chance to get it right. I ask if they need help and it is usually a “no” but some ladies did ask us to help them with some boxes of glasses for the welcoming party. I have found that telling the VOLUNTEERS that what they are doing is appreciated goes a long way towards making their tasks easier. If you are reading this and at the meet please take a minute to thank them for their time and effort.
There are not too many pics tonight. A few of some cars and the welcoming party. Not too much scenery right here at the hotel but maybe tomorrow I will venture out a bit and get a few more. I did manage to get my car inspected for the show and I put a powerpoint in for my GPS. I normally run it off of a 12 volt power pack but it is not holding a charge long enough and many have told me that 6 volts will run them. I just needed to “float” the connection as the car is a positive ground.
Also Bill M has been experiencing some noise from his differential and has his 34 in a shop about 90 miles from here. Hopefully it will be fixed in a few days. Feed should be here tonight. I will remind him how good he feels about saving all that money by not coming here a day earlier.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97420130@N04/9072154445/in/photostream/

rstefani59    -- 06-18-2013 @ 3:57 PM
  I am very excited to see all of the cars at the show. I have a 36 Cabriolet that decided last week to tear up the main shaft in the transmission so I will be unable to bring it to the show but will be at the show on Wednesday to see all of the great cars.

Henryat1140    -- 06-18-2013 @ 6:14 PM
  From someone who wanted to attend but could not go . ..

Thanks for all your work on providing a journal and pictures.

It is a help to see what everything looks like.

My son Jeff is there but I am not well enough. I'm sure he will look you up.

Regards

Henry

FrankM-RG5    -- 06-18-2013 @ 10:48 PM
  Henry, I saw jeef with John Mason tonight. I do not think Jeff will ever be right again.

Hope you sre feeling well soon.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6187