Topic: Valve spring compressor

woodwagon47    -- 01-15-2010 @ 1:36 PM
  What type of valve spring compressor do i need for a 47 v8. I have a couple but hey are bent and wore out and really don't work

oldford2    -- 01-15-2010 @ 2:35 PM
  You don't use a spring compressor for flathead V-8's. Just a pickle fork made for Ford valve springs. All the vendors carry them. To remove the valve assembly just pry down on the spring and remove the horseshoe clip. Then, if the guide is not frozen in, you can pry the valve assembly out. If it won't budge the fun begins. If you have later straight stem valves you have to use your fork to pry the spring up and remove the clips being carefull they don't drop down. Then remove the valve and you can get in and drive the guide down a bit to free it up. If you have the original mushroom base valves you may have to go in cut the valve to remove it. When replacing use the later straight stem valves and solid guides and build the assembly on your bench. Then insert the assembly, pry the spring down with your bar, and insert the horseshoe clip, Now you are ready to set the clearance if you have adj. lifters. If not the assembly is easily removed to grind the stems.
Have fun. John

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-16-2010 @ 8:26 AM
  on removing valves,
do yourself a favor,soak the guides from top and bottom,[ with the best rust buster you can find,]like PB Blaster, well worth the $4.00,],do this before attempting to remove the valve train,
I had a engine that sat outside and used a torch and cut the heads of the valves off, by prying them up,
This not a easy job, and thought I was replacing it all anyhow,
FORD had many different tools for this job, valve compressors, valve pullers,
the one you will need for sure is the pickle fork,this also installs the valve and guide as a assembley,you pull the assembley down and then install the C clip to hold it in,
once you have it apart you will see,
pickup a V8 FORD RESTORATION MANUAL
my 2 cents worth,37RAGTOPMAN

woodwagon47    -- 02-07-2010 @ 7:14 PM
  Any idea where I can obtain a Flathead repair book V8

TomO    -- 02-08-2010 @ 7:02 AM
  C&G as well as other vendors carry reprints of Ford shop manuals. The engine repair manual is carried as V-10.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=618