Topic: Grand Tour June 12

FrankM-RG5    -- 06-13-2013 @ 5:00 AM
  Quite a day yesterday as we covered about 340 mile and visited Medicine Bow Wyoming and crossed the Continental Divide on our way to Rock Spring, Wyoming. Our highest elevation on the trip was over 8200 feet and I think I could feel the car gasping a little. The thinner air at higher elevations can affect the running of the vehicle.
Only vehicle incident to report was Arel having a blowout. Luckily no one was hurt as they can be dangerous. After unpacking half the car and removing the trunk to gst at the spare, he got it changed and was on his way. We had not been traveling with him but ended up doing so as we stopped to make sure all was well. We try to travel in small groups and spread out a little so as not to create a traffic jam. Even though we travel 60-65 a long line of cars at that speed can make it difficult for other cars to pass. Speed limit here is 75.
The highlight of today's trip was a lunch stop in Medicine Bow. Wyoming. A little town literally in the middle of nowhere. It used to be a major stop on the trans-continental railroad. It is also know for the backdrop in Owen Wister's novel The Virginian. The hotel we ate at is also called The Virginian. It even had a little museum across the street. a few miles before we got there we stopped for a few minutes at what is some kinf of archeological site. I guess Wyoming is famous for these.
The rest of the trip to Rock Spring was difficult as the cross winds were brutal and it required more work to drive than any of us cared for. I must say I really enjoyed the scenery on this stretch and find the sky to be a little bit bluer. Today we will head south towards Price Utah.
I am having some picture issues. Meaning I maxed out the free photobucket account and opened a flckr but need to figure it out. See if this link works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97420130@N04/

Big Red 51    -- 06-13-2013 @ 5:21 AM
  Great pictures and narrative Frank, keep up the good work. Wish I was there.
Don

Big Red 51    -- 06-13-2013 @ 5:27 AM
  Frank, Meant to ask what type tires are most running on the tour, Bias or Radial?
Thanks, Don

FrankM-RG5    -- 06-13-2013 @ 4:47 PM
  Both. I am running radials. Glad the pictures work. Charge me for more space when there are other free sites. Don't they know I drive an old Ford?

334 Fan    -- 06-13-2013 @ 10:14 PM
  Great Photos and narrative by Frank. The Virginian Hotel was beautifully restored as you can see from the photos. This is even more remarkable because as Frank stated it is "Out in the middle of nowhere!".
To respond to the tire question. I was running regular bias ply 6:00x16 firestone tires with 38 psi, but all of us are loaded up pretty heavy with spare parts, luggage and two people. we are each probably carrying close to 1000 lbs. That coupled with hot temperatures and speeds in the 60 MPH range probably taxes the tires to their design limit.
It was very barren country going to and from Medicine Bow, but everyone agreed the side trip to Medice Bow was well worth it.
Gas choices very a lot. In Ohio, Indiana,Iowa most all pumps we encountered had ethynol, where as in Nebraska you were offered a choice. 85 octane w/o ethynol was about $.10 a gallon more the 87 with ethynol. Out in Wyoming and Utah most pumps are non ethynol (or at least there are no stickers to indicate the gas is blended with ethynol.
The funny thing is at home I was running 93 octane w/o ethynol and only getting 12 mpg. Out on the road I switched to 85 or 87 octane gas with ethynol and for some reason my milage has jumped up to 15 & 16 MPG. (average driving speed 60 MPH)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6171