Topic: dash revoval 1941

EdB    -- 06-10-2013 @ 10:58 AM
  Plan to pull the dash & steering column to have refinished. This will be new to me; would greatly appreciate comments on what to do,and just as important, what not to do. I suppose it would be best to remove the front seat??

Many Thanks for for your thoughts & comments.

supereal    -- 06-10-2013 @ 3:41 PM
  It is much simpler to refinish it in place. Removal is a complicated and ugly job, at best, as you have limited access, and have to work on your back. If you do plan to do it, buy a repro wiring loom, as the original will likely fall apart as it is removed, and repair is often worse than the rest of the job. Been there, done that!

TomO    -- 06-10-2013 @ 4:17 PM
  To remove the dash:

Disconnect all wiring from the gauges, lights and switches.

Remove the radio

Remove the bolts for the vent opening handle that are attached to the dash.

Remove the windshield inside trim.

Remove the screws at the top of the dash

Remove the bolts holding the steering column drop

Remove the bolts in the lower outer corners.

Check for any other bolts or screws and gently pull the dash away from the windshield area and carefully slide it out the door.

Tom

joe b    -- 06-10-2013 @ 4:24 PM
  Ed I agree with Super. I did my '41 as he suggested and also replaced the wiring at the same time. After removal of the dash trim plate that houses the speedometer gauge glass you will have good access. Remove the ash tray and glove box door and do them separate. Get lots of masking tape and take your time with it especially around the headliner where it encounters the dash corners. Window trim is removed and done separately. Some suggest dropping the steering column away but I didn't do this.All the dash knobs have a chrome ring which should be removed to make that part easier.When finished and before you install the window trim there is a piece of welting that goes between them and the dash. Let it dry a long time depending on your weather conditions.
Have fun.

supereal    -- 06-10-2013 @ 7:31 PM
  I did the dash in my '47 convertible with it in place. I had done the garnish for the doors earlier, and learned wood graining by the trial and error method (mostly error), and it looked so good some people have asked me if it is really wood! It takes lots of masking and plenty of drying time. One of the big lessons is to try the paints, primer, topcoat, and finish before you begin to be sure they are compatible, and will not lift the earlier paint. I didn't mean to say you couldn't remove the dash, just that you don't have to, and with large portions of patience, you will be pleased.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6162