Topic: Rear Window Install 1939 Ford

V8JR    -- 06-09-2013 @ 9:56 PM
  Any hints/tricks for installing rear (back not side) windows on a 1939 ford Tudor sedan? - Thanks, Jimbo

4dFordSC    -- 06-10-2013 @ 4:04 AM
  Run a piece of sturdy string around the inside of the rubber seal, leaving enough on the ends that you can get a good grip on them. Insert the glass into the rubber seal. Have a helper hold the glass firmly against the window opening from inside the car. From the outside, holding both ends of the string, slowly pull one end out of the seal so that it seats itself over the edge of the window opening. Be sure to hold the other end of the string firmly so that it doesn't pull through the seal (don't ask how I know). Slowly work around the window pane until it is fully seated in the opening. Repeat process for second window.

kubes40    -- 06-10-2013 @ 6:19 AM
  Be generous with Windex on the rubber. It acts as a lubricant and helps prevent cutting in to the rubber seal with the rope.

supereal    -- 06-10-2013 @ 10:25 AM
  We use liquid dish soap and a sturdy nylon pull cord. We also use a homemade tool to help get the rubber over the metal edge. It is an old screwdriver with the end bent at a 90 degree angle. Be sure not to pry against the glass itself, or breakage will result.

kubes40    -- 06-10-2013 @ 11:23 AM
  I prefer Windex as it will dry up on its own and not leave any residue that will bubble (suds) later on with the application of water.

4dFordSC    -- 06-10-2013 @ 2:26 PM
  Have heard that KY Jelly works well too--or was that for something else;)

kubes40    -- 06-10-2013 @ 3:22 PM
  South Carolina, Alabama ... probably something else...

supereal    -- 06-10-2013 @ 3:24 PM
  I use ivory dish soap, Mike. Suds has never been a problem, unless you run out of the other kind when the job is done!

TomO    -- 06-10-2013 @ 4:23 PM
  Make sure that you have the correct seal before you start. The coupe and Tudor seals are different.

Tom

supereal    -- 06-10-2013 @ 7:38 PM
  I'm with TomO on that one. I ordered one from Carpenter and they sent me a different one for closed cars. They told me they were the same, which simply isn't true. I did find the right seal with some effort. In my case, the lower corners were different, and would have scr*w*d up my job. Double check the numbers before you try to use it, or you may not be able to send it back.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6156