Topic: 37 Ford Torque Tube & Drive Shaft

Rono    -- 06-09-2013 @ 3:03 PM
  I'm having a hard time trying to roll my project 37 coupe around the shop. No motor or tranny and I backed off on the brake shoes. Wheels move freely when the car is jacked up, but very hard to roll when on the ground. I disconnected the rear radius rods and removed the bolts that hold the torque tube to the rear housing thinking I could move it forward so I could disconnect the drive shaft universal joint, but couldn't budge it. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks,
Rono

kubes40    -- 06-09-2013 @ 4:04 PM
  The universal joint is bolted to the rear of the transmission. So, if as you say, the transmission is out, then so is the u-joint.
To remove the torque tube you'll also need to remove the speedometer drive gear w / housing as well as the snap ring, washer & bearing at the front of the drive shaft (within the end of the torque tube).
The tube should be easy to slide off at that point

Rono    -- 06-09-2013 @ 4:46 PM
  The transmission is out of the car, speedo gear and cable are removed and there is nothing attached to the front end of the torque tube. There is a grease fitting midway down the torque tube. I don't know if there is a bearing in there that could be rusted to the torque tube or not. This car hs been sitting outside for a LONG time.

coup    -- 06-09-2013 @ 7:37 PM
  Check axle nuts for proper adjustment. If loose that could let the hub drag on brakes. (Just a thought)

supereal    -- 06-09-2013 @ 7:51 PM
  The center bearing in the torque tube is a roller type, mounted in a rubber collar. The grease fitting secures the assembly in place. It is unlikely that is the hang up. Jack up one rear wheel only, and try to turn it. If you can't turn it, it is likely the differential is damaged.

40 Coupe    -- 06-10-2013 @ 3:56 AM
  Turning one wheel at a time will not turn the pinion, you have to turn both at the same time. It is possible the pinion bearing is rusted or damaged, also possible the drive shaft bearing at the center of the torque tube.

supereal    -- 06-10-2013 @ 4:42 AM
  My point, exactly. It is apparent that the problem lies in the differential. Trying one wheel at a time tests the spiders. The post said they could move the car with both wheels on the ground, but with effort. If the wheels turn independently, it narrows the cause to the pinion assembly.

Rono    -- 06-10-2013 @ 6:37 AM
  Thanks guys...I will try that today. The axle nuts are tight so I don't think that is the problem.

Rono

Rono    -- 06-10-2013 @ 9:36 AM
  Jacked-up 1 wheel and then the other. Left rear spins easy with the right on the ground and the right wheel turns (with a slight drag) when the left is on the ground. I'll try backing off on the right brake shoes a bit more and see if that makes a difference.
Rono

TomO    -- 06-10-2013 @ 4:32 PM
  Check for up and down motion of the wheels. You could have worn axle housings that change the relationship of the backing plates to the drums.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6150