Topic: 1937 Headlight Harness/Horn Harness Shorts

TonyM    -- 06-08-2013 @ 6:59 AM

Got a short in the horn and/or in the headlight harness. The green/yellow horn wire burnt up. I disconnected immediately but the damage was done. Dash lights work, tail lights work, but only park lights--no low or high beams. Was like that before if I remember correctly. When I first got the car, the fuse would blow every time I switched to high beams. Switch might be bad. No brake lights. Switch might be bad. Luckily, I have a new headlight switch body and a new stop light switch. There was still a small draw after horn was disconnected. None before the headlight harness installed. Must be in the harness, the horn or the switch body. Time to be Electric Detective--not my strongest role. Back to square one.

78-73B

40 Coupe    -- 06-08-2013 @ 7:57 AM
  Tony: It sounds as if it is time for a complete new wire harness. They are not as hard as you may think to install, they do come with instructions. I suggest Tyree Harris.

TonyM    -- 06-08-2013 @ 8:39 AM
  Yeah, I'll need a new headlight harness for sure. The one that burnt up the horn wire was brand new from Narrangansette. The Park lights worked but not the low/high beams with new harness, and before I installed the new harness the fuse would blow when I switched to high beam. With the current short the horn wire burned up. The harness was new. The switch body appears to be original. There was a problem with the switch before I installed the new harness. I hope that I didn't damage the dash harness, which I installed new last week. I am going over to the car a little later and try and sort it out.

78-73B

This message was edited by TonyM on 6-8-13 @ 8:39 AM

TonyM    -- 06-08-2013 @ 12:18 PM

Here is what I have right now: It was the right hand horn that caused the short. And the headlight problem was with the switch body. I put in a new switch body and now all three headlight positions work. Dash lights work. When headlights are on, only right tail light is lit. When the switch is turned to the off position, both taillights come on (?). Am I crossed up somewhere? Any help appreciated.

78-73B

TonyM    -- 06-08-2013 @ 3:29 PM
  Something drew the battery down big time. I hope I can figure it out. Got another short somewhere.

78-73B

trimboulster    -- 06-18-2013 @ 5:13 PM
  Tony, you should have only one wire going to both tail lights. The wire branches at the left light and then goes on to the right. You might find your problem here.
Thanks for your help on my '36 windshield, the picture was great.
Lowell

TonyM    -- 06-18-2013 @ 9:07 PM
  Thanks Trim. I figured it all out and got it all working; I aimed the headlights tonight. All lights work good. Thanks big time for the help.

78-73B

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6140