Topic: Differential Set Up Help

Texas40    -- 06-07-2013 @ 6:39 AM
  Question: I am setting up a 35 rear assy. The contact pattern of the pinion and ring indicate a contact so high on the ring no amount of gasket thickness change from left to right or vise versa is going to close that distance. I have found one shop manual which suggests shims between the tapered bearing and the spider housing to close the gap. Is that in fact the way you accomplish the closure.

ford38v8    -- 06-07-2013 @ 1:23 PM
  Tex, it sounds like you may not have set the pinion to it's full depth. Are you sure you have the pinion bearings seated, and the pinion preload set?

Alan

JM    -- 06-07-2013 @ 7:53 PM
  Can you provide more details on the parts you are trying to assemble? Was this a complete working '35 rear removed from your car that you are rebuilding?
Are you possibly installing a new/good used ring and pinion set to change the final ratio ?
Are you sure the parts you are trying to assemble are actually '35?
If none of the above apply what are the actual details?
I just completely rebuilt a '35 rear including changing the ring and pinion gears from 4.11 to 3.78. This was the third rear I have rebuilt for my cars. I can tell you it is not the easiest thing I have ever done on these early Ford V8's. Also, I have never found the need to use shim stock to get correct spacing I read several articles that are published on the internet as well as the '32 to '36 engine and chassis repair manual (aka V-13) on how to rebuild a banjo rear. There is also a good procedure with pictures outlined on the H.A.M.B website about this.

John

Texas40    -- 06-08-2013 @ 7:53 AM
  Thanks to all for your responses. I measured the width of the banjo housing and found the one the car had was wider than the early banjo so I have located an early narrow version and I believe when I get it all cleaned up and installed it will achieve the necessary clearances. I am leaving soon for the Grand National, thanks for your help.

40 Coupe    -- 06-08-2013 @ 7:54 AM
  As Alan suggest the pinion may not be fully inserted into the differential housing, all the way to it's stop. The torque tube holds the pinion race in all the way so it is flush to the differential face as well as against the pinion stop. For the 35 passenger car differential no special spacer shims are needed. You will probably wind up with about <0.010" of shim gaskets on the drivers side for adjustment of the gear lash (.008-.003) and the reminder of the gaskets on the Passenger side for adjustment of the carrier end play.

supereal    -- 06-08-2013 @ 8:17 PM
  In order to fully seat the pinion, bearings, and cups assembly, the housing (banjo) must be heated so the assembly can be driven fully into place. Failure to get the pinion seated will result in a poor mesh pattern, regardless of the year.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6136