Topic: What's going on here?

w1spurgeon    -- 01-14-2010 @ 11:31 AM
  Just when someone explained to me what the "cutout" does, it appears I don't have one. Shouldn't it be somewhere in the attached picture?

Stroker    -- 01-14-2010 @ 1:41 PM
  It would appear that you have a 2-brush generator. Look for a voltage regulator on the left
upper sloping portion of the firewall. If this is a 38, it could be an original configuration if the car originally had a radio. If it is a 39 Std. it should not have a cut-out. The cut-out was used with a 3-brush generator,32-38, in which the charging rate was adjusted by moving the 3rd brush.

The 2-brush generator charging rate was adjusted at the regulator.

Stroker    -- 01-14-2010 @ 2:23 PM
  I just looked at your earlier posts, and determined that this is a 36. The two-brush generator
would not be original to the 36. It also appears from your excellent photo that you have a 37-38 intake manifold, and a Holly or "Ford" carburetor, which would only be correct on a 39+ motor.
I guess where you go from here depends on your goals. EV8 judging would dock you for these discrepancies, but from a functional standpoint; if it works, why change it?

My 38 has a 2-brush, voltage regulator, juice brakes and 59A block. Only recently have I acquired the correct intake, and at the going price of year-one Chandler Groves carbs, will probably live
with it's Stromberg.

I think it's important to set some priorities, like making the car safe, reliable and above all, enjoyable. Once you get to that point, and want to return the car to: "As Henry Built It", then these niggling details become more important, especially if you wish to show it, or for that matter sell it.

supereal    -- 01-14-2010 @ 3:14 PM
  I agree with Dan, and also note that it appears to be an 8BA engine. While the interchangeability of Ford engine parts was deliberate, it also lends itself to incorrect choices. We just had an engine in our shop that had later, insert type, rods mixed with the correct full floaters. Many engines were constructed with junkyard pieces when they were just "old cars" just get a few more miles out of them.

w1spurgeon    -- 01-14-2010 @ 5:50 PM
  Thanks guys. It is a '36 and the car is intended to be (eventually) a cruiser/driver. Originality is way down on my list right now. If I understand you correctly, the harness wire that originally went to the cutout should now go to the voltage reg (hot side?)on the firewall.

flatheadfan    -- 01-15-2010 @ 5:19 AM
  I am not so sure it is an 8BA engine. A closer look at the engine seems to show a front mounted distributor with '32-'36 looms and vacuum advance tube. I might be inclined to call it a '36 with a '38-'40 intake manifold. Regardless, in my opinion the two brush generator with its' higher output and better regulator control makes it a better choice for trouble-free everyday driving. That is what I have on my '35. Just one less thing to contend with!

Tom

supereal    -- 01-15-2010 @ 8:06 AM
  The photo wasn't clear enough to see whether there were head mounted waterpumps, of it had 8BA heads. Either way, the hoses were routed to the front. The two brush generator is usually considered an improvement over the three brush model, but before you invest in a regulator and assorted wiring, check the generator to be sure it is functional. The photo seems to show an engine that is poorly maintained, and probably a combination of parts from various years.

wmsteed    -- 01-15-2010 @ 8:39 AM
  A close look at the pic shows the 8BA style of crankcase ventilator in the lower left corner. This would indicate that the block is an 8BA.
There are no ignition wires coming up from the front of the engine adjacent to the intake and the item that could be mistaken for a vacuum tube, is laying under a wire and not attached into the intake below the carb.
The gen is very clearly a '38-39 two brush, however the wires are cut off a few inches from the gen so there probably is no regulator in the system.
I think the original question....
"Whats going on here?" ... is right on the mark

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Stroker    -- 01-15-2010 @ 9:05 AM
  Bill: This very sharp photo is sort of like a "test". The more I look, the more I see, but I'll
take exception to the observation on the ignition vacuum brake line, as it appears to be attached exactly where it should be on a 37-38 manifold, and that is between the front two intake runners. I'll vote for it being a 21-Stud. This has been FUN!

ford38v8    -- 01-15-2010 @ 11:37 AM
  There is very clearly a remote coil mod to the distributor, with a condenser mounted on it. That, together with the front water outlet, tells me it's a 21 stud. And yes, there is a vacuum tube from the manifold to the distributor. Not that this matters, but the carb is an EAB.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=613