Topic: Fan Hub Unit Reinstallation and Adjustment

BMora    -- 06-03-2013 @ 7:32 AM
  I replaced my water pump and have the generator belt all settled in and adjusted nicely. However, I cannot for the life of me attach and adjust the fan hub in a manner where the blades are not on a collision course with the crank pulley.

Details:

•1951 Ford F5
•6 blade fan attached to the fan pulley with 8 hex screws with 4 backings. (I thought the stock fan was 4 blades?)
•239 V8 8RT engine with wide belts/pulleys

How the heck do I align the stars to avoid a comsic collision?

This message was edited by BMora on 6-3-13 @ 7:35 AM

51f1    -- 06-03-2013 @ 10:20 AM
  Most or all 8RT engines, at least on the smaller trucks, came with a 4-blade fan. The 5 and 6 blade fans were accessories for extra cooling.

The fan blades should be out in front of the water pump pulleys and the crank pulley. These 3 pulleys project out in front of the engine equally. If the fan is hitting the crank pulley, it must be hitting the water pump pulleys too. There is a picture in the '49-'52 service manual on page 128 that shows the assembly. Is the fan mounted backwards? Would that even matter?

Richard

supereal    -- 06-03-2013 @ 3:01 PM
  It seems reasonable to suspect that you have the wrong water pump. The shuffling of parts began in 1948 when the 8BA block arrived, then continued when the narrow belts were added. If you have the old pump, compare it carefully with the replacement. It is surprising how often a supplier gets it wrong.

BMora    -- 06-03-2013 @ 6:57 PM
  So, it turns out the square nut behind the generator adjustment bolt wasn't exactly aligned right and therfore prohibited the fan hub from seating flat. All set now, however I now find that after 7 months of sitting the fuel pump is suspect. I know most would blame the ethenol, but is it really the cause?

TomO    -- 06-04-2013 @ 2:32 PM
  Ethanol will destroy some types of diaphragms. The newer ones are alcohol resistent.

What makes you think that the fuel pump is bad?

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6116