Topic: starting

JohnA    -- 06-03-2013 @ 5:58 AM
  I"m having trouble starting my 48 2dr sedan, 239 flathead.The car has been sitting for one year inside, we have put new points, plugs,rebuilt carb and fuel pump.I'M very suspicious that their may be some stuck valves, so we deceided to throw rope on her and take her up to a back road and try and pop start it, my question is their some thing that I could add to help free those valves up, we have done compression check and some are in the 70-80 range.Open to ideas,thanks

Old Henry    -- 06-03-2013 @ 6:47 AM
  I didn't see that you had replaced the condenser. That would be my prime suspect. Not likely stuck valves if it's only sat for a year and has good compression all 'round.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

supereal    -- 06-03-2013 @ 3:12 PM
  Give it a few squirts of starter fluid (ether). If it tries to start, suspect that the fuel tank and/or the gas line is full of crud. Be sure you actually have has gas in the tank. We often find water, diesel, or other substance in the system. Pulling the car to start it may well cause damage. It should always be the very last attempt if all else fails, and you have tried to correctly diagnose all possibilities. Towing to start is a dangerous event, in any case.

TomO    -- 06-03-2013 @ 4:48 PM
  Check your spark, it should be about 1/2" in length when a wire is held near a head nut.

Check that you are getting fuel to the engine by operating the accelerator and watching for two streams of gas coming from the jets in the top of the carburetor.

Tom

JohnA    -- 06-03-2013 @ 5:36 PM
  Yes, we have replaced condenser, was one of the first things we also thought about, were getting good spark, I would sat 1/2inch.I really don"t want to pull it either, I"m going to replace battery cables next, then look at starter issues.Thanks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6115