Topic: Vent window seal replacement 47 coupe

BIGTERR    -- 06-02-2013 @ 4:08 PM
  I picked up a Ventique vent window seal kit for my 47.
at a swap meet. There were no instuctions with them.
Need help or someone to e-mail these instructions.
Thanks

trjford8    -- 06-03-2013 @ 10:55 AM
  Did you buy it from Vintique at the swap meet or was sold by an indiviual who was just cleaning out his garage? Is your 47 a passenger car, pickup, Lincoln, Mercury? Let us know what you have and maybe we can help you with the installation

BIGTERR    -- 06-03-2013 @ 1:06 PM
  I bought the seal kit from a vendor who had a lot of used & new parts. They were still sealed in the plastic bag c/w rivets, but no instructions. He said they were bought at Macs in Lockport NY. The seals are stamped Ventique. I tried e-mailing Ventique but their web site is down.
I have a 1947 merc. coupe 118 inch wheelbase.
Hope you can help.
Thanks

TonyM    -- 06-03-2013 @ 1:14 PM
  It seems very few items for old V-8 Ford come with instructions. Drake and Carpenter Windshield seal came with instructions as did the distributor caps , which came with drawing and tolerances but ninety-five percent of what I buy does not come with instructions. Good luck with your install.

TM

78-73B

This message was edited by TonyM on 6-3-13 @ 1:15 PM

TomO    -- 06-03-2013 @ 5:30 PM
  I am not sure what your kit includes. I will try to give you some assistance.

You will need to remove the rivet for the upper pivot and the nut, spring and washers from the lower pivot in order to remove the vent window from the frame.

There should be a rivet holding the seal in place, you will have to remove it. Then you should be able to remove the old seal. Use soap or a rubber lubricant to lubricate the new seal as you slide it into the groove of the frame. Install the rivet in the lower side of the seal to hold it in place, then re-install the window.

Tom

BIGTERR    -- 06-03-2013 @ 6:47 PM
  Thanks Tom, Never having done this before, this is the sequence I'm thinking of:Remove the window trim piece.
Remove the inner door panel.I think there is a screw that holds the bottom to the window crank.
Drill out the rivet on the top of the window frame.
There seems to be 2 rivets holding the seal in place,
one on the bottom, & one on the top. Drill them out.
Remove the old seal,& install the new seal. Can you see
any problem with this sequence. Thanks Terry

G Tosel    -- 06-03-2013 @ 9:35 PM
  You may want to make a rivet tool to be able to compress the rubber molding at the same time have access for your punch to peen the rivet. I did this on my 46 Ford years ago and it works well.

BIGTERR    -- 06-07-2013 @ 8:23 AM
  Thanks to everyone for the help. The modified clamp works real nice. Have right side done.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6110