Topic: '38 closed car windshield opening drain

40cpe    -- 05-27-2013 @ 4:42 PM
  Is the drain tube the same ID all the way through? I thought I would ask before I run a drill bit through them. Where do the drain hoses terminate?

I have the headliner down to adjust the frame in the opening and while it is down I want to repair the slow wipers. I have to manually operate the on-off switch to get them to cycle. I would like to convert to electric wipers. Is there a consensus on the best brand/installation?

Thanks for your insight

Rono    -- 05-27-2013 @ 5:10 PM
  I have a 37 standard coupe and I think the 38's are the same as far as the windshield drain tubes go. Mine are about 2&1/2" long and the same diameter all the way through. My coupe is a total project, but I think the drain tubes terminated in the lower cowl. Mine are all rotted out, but I think I read that somewhere.

As far as the electric wipers go, there is a company called New Port Engineering that makes an electric wiper kit with a two speed switch and includes a template to drill an extra wiper hole on the passenger side if you have a standard coupe like I have. Haven't read any reviews on it, but it sounded the best out of the few that I've seen.
Rono

motorama2    -- 05-27-2013 @ 5:37 PM
  On my 38 the drain tube is the same all the way thru,a rubber hose goes over drain tube straight down thur the body stops at bottom of frame.Good looking 38.

trjford8    -- 05-28-2013 @ 1:40 PM
  The rubber hose goes behind the cardboard kick panel and drops down into the cowl to drain out. Make sure the area at the bottom of the cowl is clean and water can drain out. Many times the lower cowl is full of dirt, etc. I usually dig around in there with a long screwdriver and then attach a small hose(so it can go down in the narrow space) to the hose on my shop vac and vacuum out the dirt. You would be surprised what accumulates in the cowl.
In regards to your wipers I would get the old ones rebuilt. I've sent several to Kent Jaquith in Oregon. He's been repairing wipers for years and when you get them back they run like new. You can reach him at ph# 541-923-4319 or 541-350-7426.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6093