Topic: king pin wont remove

37coop    -- 05-27-2013 @ 1:58 PM
  h*llo gents ,sorry to have to use the forum again .I,m having a problem trying to remove one of the king pins in my 51 f1 truck , the right side one came out quite easily with some heat and a club hammer , the left side one wont budge at all,i,v got it on axle stands as high as is safe,the brake plate etc is off and I,m using plenty of heat which is map gas ,myself and my son were trying for a long time ,heat and club hammer and drift ,the swing upwards is not a great distance due to the height of the car but my son is very strong and persistant and it hasn't moved at all after dozens of blows,(the pin is obviously out ),is there a trick of the trade I don't know about? any help would be gratefully received , many thanks , jim.

kubes40    -- 05-27-2013 @ 2:15 PM
  No real "tricks" that I am aware of other than what you are now attempting. If you can access a press specific for this job, it'll come out rather easily.
I have had a couple in my past (prior to purchasing the tool) and like you, beat the heck out of it. They all give up eventually.

51f1    -- 05-27-2013 @ 3:05 PM
  Did you remove the locking pin, and are you hammering from the bottom? Heat should do the trick (heat the axle only), however, try some penetrating oil.

As a last resort, remove the axle and press it out with a hydraulic bench press.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 5-27-13 @ 3:10 PM

shogun1940    -- 05-27-2013 @ 7:02 PM
  did you try putting ice on the pin after heating the axle?

supereal    -- 05-27-2013 @ 7:12 PM
  When we get a stuck king bolt, we raise the vehicle until the bottom of the bolt is at chest height then, with the drift held securely by vise grips under the pin, swing a five pound hammer up to the drift. It takes some practice, but I have yet to see it fail to move a stuck king pin. It sure beat pulling the axle.

37coop    -- 05-28-2013 @ 3:15 AM
  thanks guys ,the problem with supers suggestion is I,m working in my own back yard garage and can only raise the car on axle stands so the car is too low to get a decent swing ,my son is on his knees and probably got a 3 feet upward hit ,I will probably have to put the hubs etc together and rent a trailer to take it to a repair garage to do the job for me ,thanks again guys , jim.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6092