Topic: 37 Ford Coupe Door Handle

Rono    -- 05-27-2013 @ 3:30 AM
  I have a 37 Ford Standard Coupe project car and was trying to replace the passenger side door latch. I have a NOS latch. I have the door off the car, and the lock out, but don't understand how the outside door handle shaft is removed from the latch assembly. Can anyone walk me through this? Once I get it out I'll buy a new outside handle.
Thanks!

trjford8    -- 05-27-2013 @ 6:52 AM
  Remove the screws that hold the handle to the door. Tip the handle downward to approximately 4 to 5 o'clock position and pull outward. It may take some tugging if it has not been out in awhile.

Rono    -- 05-27-2013 @ 7:34 AM
  Thanks a lot...I will give that a try. Do the replacement handles go in the same way??

Rono

trjford8    -- 05-27-2013 @ 8:55 AM
  Once you get the original handle out you will find there is a relief cut into the shaft near the end. The repro handles do not have this relief and you will have to file the relief into the shaft. I would recommend that you try to find a good used original handle if you do not want to deal with the modification to the repro.

Rono    -- 05-27-2013 @ 10:18 AM
  I am still unable to remove the outside door handle. The outside handle will only move to the 3:30 position (not 4 or 5 )and the inside handle will only move down and not up at all into the lock position, so I'm thinking the latch is frozen somewhere. I am about ready to cut the shaft behind the door handle and be done with it. Thanks for the advice about the reproduction handles. I'll look for a used one.

trjford8    -- 05-27-2013 @ 2:36 PM
  Rono, did you remove the lock cylinder? If not , it should be removed. It is held in place with a set screw the you can see in the door jamb. Some use an allen wrench and some use a slot head screw to hold it in the door. Once the lock is removed you can use a small screw driver or small piece of square stock to inset into the latch to turn the lock mechanism. I suspect the latch is in the locked position and this is why the handle will not twist down.

Rono    -- 05-27-2013 @ 4:11 PM
  trjford8;
Can't thank you enough! That was the problem all along. The latch was locked. Unlocked it, rotated the handle down and the shaft pulled right out.

This shaft does not have the relief slots like I've seen in some other pictures, instead, it is ground round for about 5/16" down the shaft and about 1/16" deep. Don't know if this would be an earlier or later version of the 37 handle, but it does seem factory, not home made.

Anyway, thanks again. This is my first 37.

Rono

trjford8    -- 05-28-2013 @ 1:41 PM
  Rono , glad I could help.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6089