Topic: 1936 FORD windshield glass to frame seal.

trimboulster    -- 05-26-2013 @ 1:18 PM
  I am assembling my 1936 Ford coupe and am in need of some help. Does anyone make a seal or gasket to mount the glass into the windshield frame? All I have found is the bedding tape from MAC'S which is very stiff. Thanks for any help.

trjford8    -- 05-26-2013 @ 1:41 PM
  No one makes a seal that I am aware of for setting the glass in the frame. Glass setting tape is all there is for that job. Be aware there are different thicknesses of the setting tape. I would contact a glass shop(preferably a shop that has been in business a long time) and see what they offer. Just for info the glass should not be too tight in the frame. Glass shops tell me the glass needs to "float" a little and should not be in a bind in the frame.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 5-26-13 @ 1:42 PM

trimboulster    -- 05-26-2013 @ 2:09 PM
  Thanks for your reply. I agree with you, the tape that I bought is 1/16" thick and the groove in the frame is 3/8" wide inside and the glass is 1/4" thick. So this don't leave a lot of room for expansion of the glass. I have installed windshields in Mustangs and other Fords, but they all had rubber gaskets. I guess I will have to find some thinner glass bedding tape.
Thanks again.

supereal    -- 05-26-2013 @ 3:57 PM
  Using a measuring caliper, determine the actual thickness of the glass, then the width of the channel. This will give you the difference. Divide this number by two, and you will have the maximum thickness of the setting tape required. It is better to obtain tape that is slightly smaller, than larger, as forcing the glass and tape into the frame almost always damages the frame, making putting the screws back in difficult to impossible. Modern glass is usually just a bit thicker than the original. If you trust the job to a shop, be absolutely sure they have done this work before. I didn't once, and it was a very expensive lesson.

trimboulster    -- 06-15-2013 @ 1:22 PM
  With the windshield laying flat on a heavy piece of cloth,I used the calipers as suggested and was able to determine the thickness of the new glass and the required bedding tape that I needed. The closest tape thickness I could find was 1/32" thick by 1 and 1/2" wide. So I was able to attach the tape to the windshield all the way around and since the tape stuck to the windshield was able to use duct tape to hold it in place. Then I oiled the tape and the windshield frame groove and started the frame onto the windshield at the bottom first and then the top. I squeezed the two halves together by hand as far as I could keeping the end gaps as even as possible while watching the top and bottom of the glass. When I got the gaps as close as 1/8", I used a rubber hammer to bring the gaps close enough to start one screw on each side. Then I used the rubber hammer some more to get the other screws started. Next, after tightening all 8 screws, I used a box cutter to trim the rubber tape all the way around the inside and outside. I cleaned the windshield and frame with Windex as I did before I started the job. It really looks nice and neat, I hope it doesn't leak. I also used the Drake seal and by following the instructions on the box and fitting the bottom corners first and then the top it fit good and appears to seal all the way around. I just used a stiff good quality putty knife and it worked very well. Thanks for your time, I hope this helps someone.
Lowell

TonyM    -- 06-15-2013 @ 9:46 PM
  Deleted post.

78-73B

This message was edited by TonyM on 6-15-13 @ 9:51 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6085