Topic: 50 ford

1hlebichuk    -- 05-25-2013 @ 6:44 AM
  Hello, I am a new member and have a 50 ford Tudor , can anybody tell me what the difference is between a Tudor club and a Tudor sedan is? Also what are the differences between the custom deluxe and the crest line. thanks for your help.

Big Red 51    -- 05-25-2013 @ 7:44 AM
  In 1950, there was a Deluxe Tudor Sedan, 70A, and a Custom Deluxe Tudor Sedan,70B, and a Custom Deluxe Club Coupe,72B. Pretty certain the only difference was interior and exterior trim. I think that the Club rear windows did not roll down. The Crestliner, 70C, was just a Tudor Sedan with different trim, inside and out and a special exterior paint pattern. In a word the basic difference is Trim. Don

1hlebichuk    -- 05-25-2013 @ 1:55 PM
  Thanks for your help.

40cpe    -- 05-25-2013 @ 4:46 PM
  While we are on the subject of '50 Fords, I see pictures of two-doors with the rear quarter windows that don't have the vent windows and don't appear to roll down. I thought they might be DeLuxe models, but I've seen several with Custom Deluxe trim. A lot of thing have been changed on them through the years, so maybe they started life as a Deluxe. Does anyone know the difference on the rear window treatments on two-door cars?

This message was edited by 40cpe on 5-26-13 @ 6:24 AM

trimboulster    -- 05-26-2013 @ 1:58 PM
  My grand parents bought a '50 Ford with low miles in the summer of 1950. It was a Custom two door sedan. It had a division bar at the rear of the rear side window that was fixed and the window in front of the division bar rolled down. The standard cars had the same arrangement. I bought a 1950 Ford Custom club coupe used later. The Custom club coupe had a shorter top with a longer trunk area. These came with a swing out rear side glass with the latch at the rear similar to the vent windows in front. I think the side glasses on the business coupes had fixed windows as rear side glasses.

trjford8    -- 05-26-2013 @ 2:59 PM
  trimboulster is correct. The custom business coupe does have a shorter roof than the 2 door sedan and the quarter windows tip out. The regular business club coupe had fixed quarter windows and some came without a back seat. There was a wood platform in the back and it was a utility coupe mostly used by salesmen who hauled their sample goods in the back.

40cpe    -- 05-26-2013 @ 7:36 PM
  10-4 on the two door with roll-dwown rear windows and the coupe w/flip-out windows, but I've seen pictures of the two-door roof line with solid, one piece rear windows.

Grant    -- 05-27-2013 @ 4:50 AM
  The roof is much shorter on the model 72 coupe, leaving a large panel between the beginning of the trunk and the bottom of the back window.

As a result the trunk is quite a bit deeper on the coupe, because the rear seat is farther ahead.

Attached is a photo of our 1950 Ford Custom Club coupe.......rear windows open like the vent windows in the doors.......last licensed in 1958 when the original owner put it into storage at 11,738 miles.

1hlebichuk    -- 05-27-2013 @ 5:40 AM
  You people have been very helpful, I now know that mine is a custom club coupe, it has the swing out rear quarter window..The photo shown by grant is what I have, what a beautiful carny the way. What are the two chrome tail fins? I don,t believe I have ever seen those before.

Grant    -- 05-28-2013 @ 7:10 AM
  Those chrome plated tail fin ornaments are an aftermarket accessory......definitely not a genuine FoMoCo part.

They were on the car when it came out of the original owner's estate, so I left them there.

Why he parked the car in 1958 and then never drove it again, nobody knows.

40cpe    -- 07-23-2013 @ 2:15 PM
  This is an older thread, but I just saw another picture of a '50 tu-door with the one-piece rear side windows. This particular car has been mildly customized, but no other body work has been done (that I can see) so I believe it came this way from the factory. Any help to clear my mind of this is appreciated.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1950-CUSTOM-COUPE-/121147751282?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c34f7fb72#ht_500wt_1182

jaxV8carz    -- 07-24-2013 @ 5:57 PM
  The 50 shown on Ebay is a Tudor sedan. It would not have come from the factory with a solid rear glass. It would have had a division bar separating the window glass and a rear vent glass. I've seen the conversion process in a rod magazine. Nice but not factory.

40cpe    -- 07-25-2013 @ 6:41 AM
  Thanks for your reply. Curiosity got me so i sent a message to the seller of the car. They verified that it has been modified to a solid glass. Why would anyone do it? Trying to fake a coupe? It looks odd to me.

kls50    -- 09-13-2013 @ 7:52 PM
  I am the proud owner of my 1950 ford coupe as of Mar. 2013. I have just now seen the chrome tail fins and I would like to know where I could perhaps find a pair of them. Please help!

flathead4rd    -- 09-14-2013 @ 12:32 PM
  My 50 Custom has rear windows that roll down and the quarter windows behind the division bar also open (swing out like the front quarter windows).

Grant    -- 09-14-2013 @ 4:35 PM
  To kls50........

A pair of those oddball chrome tail fins showed up on Ebay last winter.

If I remember correctly, they sold for something like $100.00.

You could keep an eye on Ebay. Or maybe post a Wanted ad on a site like HAMB.

I can send you a photo of the back end of our coupe, if that would be helpful......just post your email address.

kls50    -- 09-16-2013 @ 10:29 AM
  Thanks for the info. My E-mail address is kls50kevin@aol.com. A picture would be helpful and thanks again.

kls50    -- 09-16-2013 @ 10:30 AM
  Thanks for the info. My E-mail address is kls50kevin@aol.com. A picture would be helpful and thanks again.

Grant    -- 09-17-2013 @ 5:29 AM
  Photos sent this a.m. Let us know how you make out.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6079