Topic: 8ba engine venting

37coop    -- 05-22-2013 @ 3:28 PM
  h*llo ...my imported 51 f.1 truck .its been on axle stands since I received it due to brakes and steering rebuild . I havnt driven it for the same reason, the question is ...when I fire it up and having it tick over for a couple of minutes I get some smoke/fumes out of the oil filler ,not sure how bad it would be if used on the road as I havnt yet had the opportunity to do so ,its got stains on the under bonnet where the oil filler is below so it looks as if it has been happening for some time , I would like to know the cause and the repair process,i,m going to drop the sump to put in a new gasket set as oil is and has (for years judging by the mess underneath)been badly leaking at the crankshaft pulley and also to clean out the sump and the oil pump gauze and hopefully improve the oil pressure of 25 when starting up...plenty to do on this baby,any advice would be appreciated , many thanks ...jim.

supereal    -- 05-22-2013 @ 3:51 PM
  The primary cause of crankcase fumes is "blowby" of combustion products past worn or stuck piston rings. It can be increased by oil leakage past valve guides, which appears as smoke. Ford added valve stem seals to the intake valves to address that problem, but when worn, do little good. I'm sure it isn't good news, but is is very likely that only a complete engine rebuild is the cure. There is no "quick fix", in spite of claims of additives that will restore worn out engines.

37coop    -- 05-23-2013 @ 2:09 AM
  thanks super ,it just gets worst,the compression on all cylinders is over 100,i thought maybe because of that the engine was probably healthy(ish),before I do anything dramatic i.ll get it running on the road and see how bad it is ,thanks again , jim.

oldford2    -- 05-23-2013 @ 5:30 AM
  I completely rebuilt a 1940 221v8 a few years ago. Put it up on the test stand and ran great. All numbers where they should be. Sold it to a guy to put in his36 flatbed. Then he called and said heavy backpressure was blowing oil out the rear seal (there is no rear seal, just a slinger) and the vent pipe. After he dropped the pan and tried a few other things he found that the NOS muffler he had was so old that the inside had crumbled completely and blocked the exhaust. New muffler and ran just like new. John

supereal    -- 05-23-2013 @ 6:33 AM
  That's a tough one, Jim. I know that your project has seemed to produce one problem after another. That is not uncommon, I know from experience. High compression can be the result of piston rings being well oiled. Be sure the crankcase filler cap is clean, and that the outlet vent pipe is, as well. Exhaust blockage can produce lots of performance effects, but the blowby and obvious loss of oil usually are not directly connected. You may remove the intake manifold and check the valve chamber. This will give you some idea of the condition of the engine. Finding lots of sludge is a sign of neglect.

37coop    -- 05-23-2013 @ 8:30 AM
  thanks guys ,the exhaust system looks pretty new,in fact all up top is , new bed ,tailgate, bed floor ,interior ,wheels and coker tyres runningboards ,he has spent serious money making it look good,as we say over here ...all fur coat and no knickers .......I,ll take it one step at a time ..onwards and upwards , cheers ,jim.

MG    -- 05-23-2013 @ 10:31 AM
  37coop,

JAMCO Co. out of Fullerton, California, they have a PCV kit for the 49-53 8BA. You can see it at their site:

http://www.jamcosuspension.com/products/sfID1/121/productID/1504

I have not used this kit but it might be worth considering in your case.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6073