Topic: 1936 steering box lube

Grant    -- 05-18-2013 @ 9:06 AM
  We are continuing preparations for the run to Tahoe.

The Service Handbook says that extreme pressure SAE 90 gear lube was originally recommended for the 1936 passenger car steering box.

Is it true that an older high mileage unit should have something thicker ?

Has anyone tried using the corn head grease which is sold by John Deere dealers ? Or something else ?

supereal    -- 05-18-2013 @ 10:34 AM
  I haven't used the corn head grease, but I see it recommended frequently. Years ago, chassis lube was used when the grease leaked badly. Unfortunately it allowed extra wear on the worm gear of the box. I use STP mixed with 140W gear oil. The box receives lots of heat from the adjacent exhaust manifold which, in time, cooks the lube and thins it until it runs out. I've also used 600W oil from my Model A days. It was made to help contain the oil in the transmission then, but is now obsolete, and shouldn't be used in later cars for transmissions or rear ends.

JM    -- 05-20-2013 @ 8:04 PM
  I am also getting my '35 fordor ready for the cross country run to lake Tahoe. In the past I have been using a mix of 85W-140 and STP in my steering box but it leaks out very quickly. I don't have time to pull the box and replace seals, so last week I filled the steering box with JD Corn Head Grease based on hearing reports from many others who have already done this. I have not seen any leaking out of the box so far. I also filled the U joint housing with JD CH Grease after installing 3.78 R&P gears and rebuilding the rear with new bearings and seals.

John

Gary M.    -- 05-21-2013 @ 6:30 PM
  I also used corn head grease for the steering box and u-joint and none has leaked over a 10 year period. I bought it on line from a company called Cenex. They sell it by the case but its cheap.

1934 Ford    -- 05-22-2013 @ 5:51 PM
  I've read about this "corn head grease" for the V8 steering box before, but have been unable to get it
at local farm supply stores.
Any sources

1934 Ford's since 1972

JM    -- 05-22-2013 @ 7:24 PM
  I have bought corn head grease at several different John Deere dealers.here in Maryland.

John

JM    -- 05-22-2013 @ 8:01 PM
  Delete duplicate message

This message was edited by JM on 5-23-13 @ 5:37 PM

MG    -- 05-23-2013 @ 12:16 AM
  Would this grease be suitable to pack the front roller bearings?

deuce_roadster    -- 05-23-2013 @ 8:59 AM
  The corn head grease is designed for low speed applications. Meaning where the lubricant is providing anti friction, the parts are not moving relative to each other real fast. There are ample choices for the front roller bearings. I wouldn't use the CHG for wheel bearings.

Grant    -- 05-23-2013 @ 4:00 PM
  I went shopping at the local John Deere dealership today.......

Grant    -- 05-23-2013 @ 4:14 PM
  I've tried to show two photos of John Deere corn head grease which was purchased earlier today.

The stock number is AN102562.

The dealership's Parts Department employee says that it is well-suited for steering boxes and gear boxes. At high temperatures it will start to liquefy, but then thickens again later when it cools off.

Amongst other things, the wording on the back of the tube says:

Excellent performance at extremely high and low temperatures

Maintains consistency under severe working conditions

Problem solving grease for gear boxes with leaky seals

NLGI grade No. 0

CAUTION: SKIN IRRITANT

QUESTION FOR GARY M.

Are you saying that you filled your Ford steering box with corn head grease ten years ago, and the level is still totally full with additional grease never having had to be added?

1934 Ford    -- 05-23-2013 @ 4:39 PM
  OK, Thanks guys. I guess I haven't seen a John Deere
dealership here in the Smoky Mountains. Kabota, New Holland and a few foeign brands are dominant here with 4X4 tractors. Tractor Supply never heard of it.
I'll travel again soon and watch for John Deere Dealers or search the Internet.

1934 Ford's since 1972

Grant    -- 08-01-2013 @ 6:48 AM
  UPDATE RE PRODUCT PERFORMANCE.........

The steering box on our '36 Ford was filled with John Deere corn head grease on June 10th and 11th prior to leaving for the trip to Tahoe.

Over 5,000 miles was driven on the trip, from northern Alberta to the Tahoe meet and then northeast to Ontario Canada via California and Route 66 (arriving July 2nd).

The run included several hundred miles through extremely hot desert weather in Arizona and New Mexico.

There were no problems at all with the corn head grease as a steering box lubricant. Zero leakage, and inspection again yesterday showed that the product was still the same green color. In terms of thickness (viscosity?), it does appear to be a little bit thinner than it originally was. But not much.

So far, so good. This stuff seems to be a viable alternative to the S.A.E. 90 extreme pressure gear oil which is recommended on page 31 in Figure 9 of the 1932 to 1941 Ford & Mercury shop manual.

JM    -- 08-01-2013 @ 8:01 PM
  Grant, I have had pretty much the same experience. Filled the normally leaky '35 steering box and the univeral joint housing with JD CH grease around mid May. I have driven close to 8,000 miles since then which included the cross country tour from Maryland to Lake Tahoe and back and no leakage to date that I can tell from the steering box or the U joint. Looks like two of the three pesky oil leaks on my '35 have been stopped completely.

John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6065