Topic: 36 ignition lock (again)

40fordor    -- 05-17-2013 @ 5:07 AM
  I have posted before about my key switch locking and I cannot remove the key or turn it. I cut a slot in the end of the twist off screw and tried to remove it with a blade screwdriver. The screw then twisted off again about 1/8 inch up inside the housing.

Is the screw a regular right hand thread? I was trying to remove it by a counter clockwise motion when it sheared. When I try the easy out, I need to know which way to turn it. Also, if the screw is that tight I wonder if an easy out will do the job.
Don

flatheadfan    -- 05-17-2013 @ 12:58 PM
  It is a "regular" screw thread (counter-clockwise to remove). An easy-out should do. it.

Tom

40fordor    -- 05-17-2013 @ 1:55 PM
  Tom, thank you for your followup. Closer inspection has shown that what I actually twisted off was the end of an original twist off screw. It looks as if the remaining part of the screw in the housing has a smaller diameter shaft where it sheared than the rest of the screw. This small diameter shank is off center from the main shank and I don't think I can center punch it. Sometimes I make small jobs much worse and don't want to mess everything up.
I have easy outs and bolt extractors but this is not what I usually encounter.
Don

40 Coupe    -- 05-18-2013 @ 6:27 AM
  The bolt with the head that breaks off when tightened is 5/16-24 RH thread. So the CCW motion to remove should do the job. It would seem your going to far in the removal of the column drop to remove a ignition lock cylinder! The 36 cylinder is held in place by a special pin (no threads) in the casting under the lock cylinder You need to remove just this one pin to get the cylinder out for repair. The special pin is less than 1/4" long so you do not need to drill too far into it, if you do drill too far you will drill into the brass cylinder body. Center punch the pin and drill #36 for a 6-32 screw tapped about 6 turns deep into the pin with a "No Bottom" tap. Once you get the threads into the pin body you can use a 6-32 all thread stud and washers or a spacer to pull against using a nut on the all thread stud. Pull the pin straight out of the body of the column drop, the pin has serrated edges and does not turn. Look in Mac's catalog, they sell the special pin. Once the pin is removed the cylinder will come out with careful and gentle force, using lots of lube and a soft rubber hammer. The 36 lock cylinder is special and only used for one year. Take your time, then send the cylinder to Leon Rowell for repair.

40fordor    -- 05-18-2013 @ 7:46 AM
  40 Coupe, your response is a great help and it shows that I do not know much about the 36 lock assembly. I have not been working with the column drop bolt since my car does not have a bolt in it.

I have been working under the lock cylinder and thinking that the ignition lock retainer pin was the end of the twist off bolt! What I have actually done is cut a slot in the exposed end of the retainer pin and then with a large screw driver twisted off the small pin shaft that goes up into the lock cylinder.

Now my problem will be how to get the small remaining pin shaft out. As I said I can make small jobs much worse! Thank you again for your help, I think I now understand how it all goes together.
Don

40fordor    -- 05-18-2013 @ 11:40 AM
  40 Coupe, what an easy job after your response. The lock cylinder is now out without me destroying anything.

Do you have more information about Mr. Leon Rowell? How can I contact him? Thanks again for your excellent help.
Don

JM    -- 05-18-2013 @ 7:32 PM
  Leon Rowell has recently become a member of Fordbarn.com. He goes by the name 'Lockdoc'. You could go to Fordbarn, look him up in the members listing, and send him a personal message, aka PM or an email on your needs. There is another locksmith known a '32phil or phil32' who is also a Fordbarn member and does very good work at reasonable prices.

John

JM    -- 05-19-2013 @ 4:22 AM
  Deleted duplicate message

This message was edited by JM on 5-19-13 @ 4:26 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6057