Topic: '40 Coupe Grinding Noise When Decelerating

Aloha 40    -- 05-17-2013 @ 2:56 AM
  Hey Everyone, it's been a little while since I've been on here, and I hope everyone has been doing great. Our '40 Ford Coupe has been a real peach to drive, but recently, it's been making a loud whirring/almost grinding noise when decelerating in second gear. It's coming from the front half of the car. If I press the clutch, it goes away. It's loudest in second, but also does it in first, only when decelerating. It goes away when accelerating and keeping the gas on it.

So far, we've drained the transmission fluid and inspected both the bottom of the tranny with a pinky in the drain plug and the fluid, and there's nothing there. We've kept grease in everything that has a zerk, and pumped extra grease into the u-joint housing. We have a new extra u-joint ready to be put in, but would like some advice in diagnosing this problem before we perform the surgery. Could this be coming from the transmission? Could it be the torque tube bearing? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you for your help. Aloha from Hawaii.

Allen

supereal    -- 05-17-2013 @ 6:44 AM
  My best guess, from your description, is that you are hearing bearing failure noise. A rumbling noise usually means one of the large bearings, such as on the input shaft, is getting rough. If you hear a whirring noise, I'd suspect the roller bearings inside the cluster gear are the cause. Transmission noises get louder under stress, such as acceleration or deceleration. It is unlikely the torque tube bearing is the source, particularly if kept greased. You can try filling the transmission with heavier lube, such as 140 weight. If the noise changes, or goes away for a while, it is probably time for an overhaul.

This message was edited by supereal on 5-17-13 @ 6:51 AM

trjford8    -- 05-17-2013 @ 6:41 PM
  I think Bob's assessment is correct. It's a transmission bearing. I suspect it's the input shaft bearing which is a ball bearing. If you replaced that bearing you may have got a Chinese replacement. A few years ago I got some new axle bearings for a Mustang rear end. They didn't last 1500 miles and I had to replace them.

Aloha 40    -- 05-18-2013 @ 4:09 AM
  Thank you guys for your help. We'll try swapping the fluid out to see if that makes a difference. But, on our next clear weekend, we'll drop the transmission and give it a look. Hopefully our parts inventory will have what we need. I'm not sure what went back in when we rebuilt it, but I suspect they were Timken bearing made outside of the US. I seem to remember reading that on the box.

Thank you again.

Allen

supereal    -- 05-18-2013 @ 6:19 AM
  Today, bearings are often, if not mostly, made offshore, usually China. We test all bearings for signs of roughness, and catch some, but not all. As the demand for old vehicle parts lessens, they may be farming out production to smaller facilities with less stringent quality. If, as you rotate the bearings, you detect anything other than smooth operation, send them back.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6056