Topic: polarization ignition problem

ricsvic    -- 05-16-2013 @ 6:22 AM
  howdy again. I was here a couple of days ago with a polarization question. I heard that I just needed to connect the GEN and BATT teminals at the regulator for a moment to establish the proper flow. I assumed this meant with the key on. My regulator terminals are marked ARM, FLD and BATT so I figured the ARM was the same as a generator contact and I touch that to the BATT and got major sparks and arcing. I stopped at that point. The car won't start now. There does not seem to be spark to the plugs. It was running fine and just stopped all of a sudden and that was the begining of this current situation. So, after the sparks at the regulator, I thought that I would I would just spin the motor with a plug wire off to see if I was getting any spark to the plugs. I pushed the button on the bottom of the solinoid and got major sparks there too. So, I walked away. This is all very weird because as I mentioned before the car (a stock 41 ford V-8) was running and stating great before it just suddendly stopped. I probably have some wires in the wrong place and I'll retrace everything in a few days. Does any of my babble cause any of you to say, "well, he obviously did ______ and scr*w*d up" Thanks for any help.

supereal    -- 05-16-2013 @ 2:53 PM
  Most of us have been in your place, violating the maxim of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Do you have a wiring diagram for your '41? If not, I'll post one so you can follow the circuits. I suspect you have caused a burned connection or blown fuse. As for polarization, it isn't necessary for ignition, only to remedy non-charging when a generator or regulator is changed. More often than not, no polarization is necessary, unless the system or replacement generator has been idle for a very long time. Usually, the generator just takes off without a problem. Polarization is sometimes called "flashing the field" when a momentary contact is made between the armature and field terminals. I'd be prepared to replace the regulator.

supereal    -- 05-16-2013 @ 3:39 PM
  Here is a wiring diagram. If you are unsure of what the parts and places look like, I'll post a pictorial, as well.

supereal    -- 05-16-2013 @ 3:40 PM
  Here is the other:

ricsvic    -- 05-17-2013 @ 1:58 PM
  Thanks a bunch.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6046