Topic: Electric fuel pump location on a '36?

Flatbob    -- 05-14-2013 @ 9:00 PM
  I know the idea is to get the electric fuel pump as close to the tank as possible but the only suitable location I see is about 4 1/2 feet from the tank; is that too far?

Old Henry    -- 05-14-2013 @ 9:52 PM
  Here's my installation that I'm pretty sure is closer than that.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 5-14-13 @ 9:53 PM

supereal    -- 05-15-2013 @ 6:09 AM
  Electric pumps push fuel better than pulling it. My setup is similar to OH, except I have a disposable filter between the tank and the pump placed in the line just as it descends past the frame axle hump. It is on hose connections so it can be changed with just a screwdriver. Use the screw type hose clamps instead of the spring kind usually sold with the pumps to avoid air and fuel leakage.

Flatbob    -- 05-15-2013 @ 7:10 AM
  OH & Super thanks for the reply. OH could you tell me what size those fittings are that allowed you to hook up your metal fuel line to the pump?
Thanks, Bob

trjford8    -- 05-15-2013 @ 8:46 AM
  The original line is 1/4". You should use 1/4' fittings on the pump.

Flatbob    -- 05-15-2013 @ 10:28 AM
  Do I use a 1/4" compression fitting to make the connection or a 37 degree flared line with an AN fitting?

joe b    -- 05-15-2013 @ 11:29 AM
  Super,
What are you using for the disposable filter? I installed one on my '41 and within 2 years the Ethanol ate it alive. What has been your experience with this?

Old Henry    -- 05-15-2013 @ 1:00 PM
  You can see in my picture the replaceable filter that came with the pump on the far side of it. It screws into the inlet of the pump and the fuel line connects to it the same as the outlet with 1/4" compression fitting and an adapter to take it up to the pump fitting sizes. Here's the Airtex E8011 6 volt kit I used bought off of ebay for less than other suppliers. It included the filter.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

supereal    -- 05-15-2013 @ 8:14 PM
  Joe: We use a Fram filter with hose barbs on the ends, for the location, I prefer the metal variety. Usually, we use fuel proof hose with hose barb fittings, rather than compression fittings. When compression fittings are opened to change filters, they often don't reseal after the ferrule has been disturbed. Maybe it is luck, but we haven't had any filters attacked by alcohol. Most, if not all, have been fuel proof for a long time. Beware of any old stock.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6044