Topic: polarization of generator/voltage regulator

ricsvic    -- 05-14-2013 @ 7:37 AM
  Hello, I have just realized that I should have polarized my new volt/reg when I replaced the old. I now know how to do it but I'm wondering if I may have done any other damage to the system. I only ran the car (a stock 41 flathead V-8) for about an hour total. I noticed it wasn't showing a charge but thought that it was OK. I don't have access to electrical system checking equiptment. How woul;d I know if I might have fried my new coil. All my wiring is new. Thanks for your advise in advance. ricsvic

Old Henry    -- 05-14-2013 @ 8:43 AM
  I'm puzzled as to what you mean by polarizing the voltage regulator. To my knowledge it needs no polarization The generator does. Are you talking about the generator? Even an unpolarized generator wouldn't fry a coil, it just wouldn't generate and charge.

Or, are you talking about something else?

Confused.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

ricsvic    -- 05-14-2013 @ 9:56 AM
  Thanks for responding. You're right. It's polarizing the generator which is done at the voltage regulator. I thought (or was told) that I had to "polarize" if I changed or repaired the generator OR the voltage reg. So, when does one need to polarize the generator?

kubes40    -- 05-14-2013 @ 11:37 AM
  Any time the generator is removed and / or repaired it would be prudent to polarize it.
it can never hurt so when in doubt - do it.

ricsvic    -- 05-14-2013 @ 2:11 PM
  Thanks, I do appreciate it.

TomO    -- 05-19-2013 @ 3:32 AM
  If you disconnect your battery when before you disconnect the regulator or generator, you will not have to polarize your generator.

Tom

37pickupford    -- 05-19-2013 @ 11:05 AM
  Some 30 years ago I took my truck apart, had the engine rebuilt and 2 generators rebuilt. I am finally in the rebuilding phase . What do I need to do to polarize the generator when I reinstall it?

TomO    -- 05-20-2013 @ 2:42 AM
  You will probably be fine if you do not connect the battery until after all of the wiring is connected.

After a rebuild and testing, most generators have enough residual magnetism to pick the cutout relay in the regulator and then they will have the correct battery voltage applied to finish the polarization process.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6042