Topic: 35Ford 53Merc engine 39 pedal assembly

oldbutusefull    -- 01-13-2010 @ 12:08 PM
  Would like to talk to someone who has put a 49 to 53 engine 10" clutch with 39 pedal assembly in a 34 to 38 car? My problem is to much pedal pressure is required! any help would be appreciated. thanks r.o.

wmsteed    -- 01-14-2010 @ 9:05 AM
  The 8BA engine in an early chassis ('35,etc) with a '39 peddle assembly will not effect the clutch peddle pressure required to depress same.
You have to make sure you use '49-53 truck pumps and bellhousing or '49-50 Merc pumps and bellhousing.
If you are concerned about peddle pressure because of an infirmity, you might consider using a Ford C-4 automatic behind the 8BA.
SPEEDWAY makes a kit for this conversion. You do have to change the rear end to a open drive line and modify the springs.
I have attached a pic of the truck pumps.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

oldbutusefull    -- 01-14-2010 @ 12:28 PM
  thanks for the reply, you did not mention the 10" clutch! originally 39 was a 9" clutch. My question is when you use a 39 pedal assembly which was matched to a 9" pressure plate and disc, now put it to a 10" is there a problem with undue foot pressure on the clutch pedal? I have completed this car but the clutch pedal pressure makes for a no fun drive? thanks r.o.

supereal    -- 01-14-2010 @ 3:25 PM
  If you are using the ten inch pressure plate, it is likely that the arm on the release shaft is incorrect (short), and reducing the leverage necessary to push the release bearing easily.

oldbutusefull    -- 01-14-2010 @ 5:41 PM
  thanks for the reply, I have tried everything, shortening and lengthening the arm at shaft to throw bearing and also at clutch pedal rod to arm at shaft. Last question it is possible to use a 10" pressure plate with a 39 pedal assembly??? i cant be the first guy to do this?? any thoughts would be appreciated. r.o.

trjford8    -- 01-14-2010 @ 7:07 PM
  I wonder if the person who rebuilt the pressure plate used the wrong springs?

TomO    -- 01-16-2010 @ 8:33 AM
  There should be very little difference in pedal pressure between the 9 and 10 inch clutch. We used to make the change quite often back in the early 50's when we went to the lightweight flywheel.

Tom

oldbutusefull    -- 01-16-2010 @ 1:11 PM
  thanks for all the replies, I'm going with having the springs checked out on the pressure plate, and reworking the lever geometry on shaft to clutch throw out bearing. Will post results,will take some time, thee four weeks. r.o.

40 Coupe    -- 01-16-2010 @ 2:44 PM
  just tried the same, even had three of the 10" pressure plate springs removed and still too much pedal pressure, we had the flywheel redrilled for a 9" and the problem was solved.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=604