Topic: How to tune a Detroit Lubricator

Bill T    -- 05-13-2013 @ 4:16 PM
  Hi guys, I need some advice. I have a 33 ford and am having trouble getting it to run satisfactorily after taking it out of winter storage. It will start but runs rough and has no power

The car is authentic. It runs a Detroit lubricator carburetor and an early 33 fuel pump. It has a recent Skip Haney coil and the distributor seems to work OK.

The gas that was in the tank over the winter has been drained and replaced. Fuel flow has been checked from the tank through the pump by spinning the engine with the starter. Fuel flow was thin but steady.

Spark plugs were sooty and have all fired. Carbon blows out the tail pipe. Seems rich?

The most definitive guide I have on this era flat head is the common green soft cover booklet titled Ford V8, 1932-36 Engine & Chassis Repair Manual. It doesn't say much. Most of you probably have it. I do have some questions. How do I adjust the carburetor????

Idle throttle plate adjusting screw?

Meter pin for fuel adjustment (on top)? (which direction is rich)?

Choke lever and mechanism?

Fast idle adjusting screw?

Float?

Any other comments or recommendations.

Thanks for your help,

Bill Taylor

TomO    -- 05-13-2013 @ 4:33 PM
  Bill,

Did the car run OK before the winter storage?

You have all of the symptoms of a weak spark.

I would start by checking the spark. You may have a bad condenser or the coil may have developed an internal short. If the spark is weak, try cleaning the points, replacing the condenser and then the coil in that order.

If the spark is at least 1/2 inch, I would replace the spark plugs.

Tom

Bill T    -- 05-14-2013 @ 9:11 AM
  TomO
Yes the car ran Ok before I put it away last fall. I will take your advice and check in into my spark again.

I am still hoping to hear from someone who is experienced in setting up Detroit lubricators.

Thank you, Bill Taylor

3w2    -- 05-14-2013 @ 8:42 PM
  It could well be that the evaporation of the leftover fuel has left a residue that is preventing the vanes between the upper and center sections from moving freely. A complete disassembly and cleaning in a solvent such as lacquer thinner may be in order. Before doing so, I recommend obtaining reprints of both the '32 Ford Service Bulletins (pages 62-64) and the '33 Bulletins (page 102) which will guide you in the disassembly, cleaning, assembly, and adjustment of your D/L carburetor.

Bill T    -- 05-15-2013 @ 6:40 PM
  3W2

Thanks for your referral to the 32 and 33 Service Bulletins. I had forgotten about them. They had the best comments on cleaning up the DL carburetor. I now have it cleaned and halfway back together again. It should take another couple of days. Thanks again, Bill T

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6034