Topic: '39 Rear End

Joe2009    -- 05-11-2013 @ 9:18 AM
  I have a standard, I believe, banjo transmission on our '39 coupe. How can I tell for sure, and what is it's gear ratio?

"The older I get, the better I was."

ford38v8    -- 05-11-2013 @ 9:55 AM
  Joe, the banjo case is the same for multiple years, but could also have different ring/pinions than original. For a starting point in identifying your ratio, look at the bottomside on the forward web for a hand stamped set of numbers. If your banjo is original, you'll probably find the numbers 9 34, which indicates pinion and ring tooth count for a 3.78 x 1 ratio.
9 34 = 3.78
9 37= 4.11
9 40=4.44
11 39= 3.54

For a positive identification, mark one tooth on the ring gear visible through the fill hole with a dab of color, and rotate for a tooth count.

Alan

supereal    -- 05-11-2013 @ 9:59 AM
  If you are asking about the rear axle, not the transmission, you can check for stamped numbers on the center "web" of the middle part of the axle (banjo). The most common ratios are 3-78, and the numbers would be 34-9. The 4-11, used in hilly country and many pickups, reads 37-9, while the "flat country" axles, 3-54, would be 39-11. Outside of some minor differences, there is no easy way to determine if your axle is actually original. A best guess would be that it is, as the rear axle is one of the most durable parts of an old Ford, and unles there was serios damage at some time, it is likely it came with the car.

Joe2009    -- 05-13-2013 @ 5:35 PM
  I looked to see if I could not find any stamped numbers (I'm not quite sure what and where the "web" is) but could not find any. I should also note that the car has a Columbia 2-speed which, I am led to believe, requires a special differential assembly case. Maybe it has no web or stamped numbers.

By the way, does any one know what the gear ratios are for the Columbia 2-speed (high and low range)?

"The older I get, the better I was."

supereal    -- 05-13-2013 @ 9:34 PM
  The web is the reinforcing rib on the underside of the banjo. The numbers can be difficult to see. It helps to scrub the area with a Scotchbrite pad or similar pad. The Columbia conversion uses one stock axle housing, with the overdrive components in the special part on the other side side of the center housing. I don't recall the amount of the overdrive reduction. When not engaged, the ratio is that of the stock gearing. Most Columbias benefit from an overhaul, as the soft metal parts are often badly worn. This is commonly known as "bullet proofing".

39 Ken    -- 05-14-2013 @ 4:39 AM
  The Columbia Two Speed Rear
reduces the final drive ratio
by 28%. With a 3.78 to one rear
end ratio, at 55MPH, your RPM's
will drop from approx 2350 to approx 1875.
These numbers are approximate because
tire size will alter these numbers a bit.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6027