Topic: Supereal's brake light

Grant    -- 05-11-2013 @ 5:51 AM
  Hey Supereal....

Quite a while ago, you got involved in a discussion about an aftermarket six volt brake light which had been installed on your convertible (1947?).

How could it be mounted.....and then easily removed at shows.....on a '36 roadster ?

Can you please identify the manufacturer ?

Would it be possible to make this unit flash when the turn indicators are in use ?

Have you had any trouble with yours ?

supereal    -- 05-11-2013 @ 10:09 AM
  Grant: I have had my LED third stop light on my '47 since 2007, and it has been completely troublefree. It was purchased from a company called Top Serve, located in Holland, Michigan. Their website is www.brakeflasher.com. As my car is a convertible, I couldn't use the suction cup mount furnished with the unit, so I devised a way to place it atop my rear license plate (see the attached photo). As I didn't want to make a hole in my trunklid for the small wires that feed the bar, I drilled a hole thru one of the bolts that secure the license plate holder. Assuming I may want to remove it from time to time, I put a small plug on the wire just behind the license plate. I didn't split mine to work with the turn signals, but the literature says you can. As with most LEDs, it draws a very small current, only about 100 Ma on the 6 volt system. The light was recommended to me by a V8 friend, and I have been very happy with it.

This message was edited by supereal on 5-11-13 @ 10:12 AM

Grant    -- 05-11-2013 @ 6:15 PM
  Thanks for the info.

Is yours the Flashing-Steady LED Brake Light?

Would there be a reason why the suction cups would not work on the glass rear window of a convertible or a roadster?

supereal    -- 05-11-2013 @ 7:45 PM
  I have it set to flash when it comes on, then go "solid". That way, it attracts attention so the guy behind me wakes up. The suction cup bracket is fine on the back window of a closed car, but the top on my car is mostly down during the season, so it works better on the license plate for me.

Grant    -- 05-16-2013 @ 4:50 AM
  If you are considering installing one of these safety-feature brake lights on your vehicle before driving to the National Meet in Tahoe, it should be ordered pretty soon.

There is currently a two week backorder delay.

The cost for the one we have purchased is $72.49 including shipping.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6025