Topic: Ad Scams?

Bill Wright    -- 05-10-2013 @ 6:44 AM
  Posted a wanted Ad in the classifieds.Got responses from the UK.
Can't find the guys listed in the current roster.They don't mention the part I'm looking for specifically just that they"May have it."
Are these guys phishing for cell#s and E mail addresses?
One guy wanted me to respond by cell.
Thanks,
Bill

Don't Believe Everything You Think!
Bill Wright

TonyM    -- 05-10-2013 @ 7:11 AM
  Yep, I was looking for a fuel pump adaptor stand and just a few days later I have already received two ads from UK or England from people saying that they have my part. One was Richard Morgan. I got another one from a different fellow just yesterday -- Martins Goldberg. Yes, that is right Martins Goldberg.

I have replied that I don't do "overseas sales" and then I ask them for banking information such as account numbers and passwords. No response yet. Ford people should limit their transactions to people in the United States. There are probably more Ford parts in California alone than there are in all of England.

TM

78-73B

This message was edited by TonyM on 5-10-13 @ 8:25 AM

supereal    -- 05-10-2013 @ 8:56 AM
  Ask for photographic evidence that they actually have the part in their possession, not just a clipping from a catalog. Use a third party, such as PayPal to hold any payments in escrow until you have the item in hand. This kind of scamming is epidemic now, sort of like the "Nigerian Prince" trick. In the event of a scam, retrieving your money is probably impossible. Finding old Ford parts is much more likely here in the US.

trjford8    -- 05-10-2013 @ 9:48 AM
  Richard Morgan must have a lot of parts in stock. He answered two of my ads. I e-mailed back and said I did not buy from overseas sellers and never heard back. It's the same old scam that's been around for a long time.
What's unfortunate is we have club members in the UK and they are good honest people. I recently sold some Mercury wheels to a great guy in the UK. He worked through a friend in the US and I sent the wheels to LA and they will be shipped from there. Do your homework whenever you get a response to a want ad. We do have scammers here in the US also.

Bill Wright    -- 05-10-2013 @ 8:56 PM
  Richard Morgan was "The Man"!
He wanted my cell # so he could call me.
As far as proof the parts exist,I prefer to fondle the stuff before I buy it!

Don't Believe Everything You Think!
Bill Wright

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6022