Topic: gearshift stuck in first

fordmerc    -- 05-09-2013 @ 2:35 PM
  I crawled in to work under the 1939 dash, moved the shift lever into reverse for more room. (I've done this lots of times). Today I moved to wiggle out, the shift lever moved down and is now stuck in first(? 3rd?). I started car and with brakes on, let out the clutch almost to stall - nothing else - lever still stuck - can't change gears.
What happened?
What should I do next to fix it?

supereal    -- 05-09-2013 @ 2:54 PM
  It is likely that the blocker mechanism in the shift tower is the culprit. It is a set of springs and balls that prevent shifting into two gears at once, which would destroy the transmission. I would pull the shift tower off the case and move the gears into neutral, then replace the top, being careful to place the forks into the correct grooves in the sliding gears. Given the situation, I would guess that the box is worn, and may lock up again. The only true remedy is an overhaul.

trjford8    -- 05-09-2013 @ 8:10 PM
  Check the cap that holds the shifter into the transmission. If the cap is loose(somehow they can unscrew themselves) that may be your problem. See if it has become loose and tighten it back down. If that is not the problem follow Bob's instructions.

fordmerc    -- 05-10-2013 @ 4:38 AM
  Thanks. sounds like I'm in for a challenge. It's annoying since I didn't force anything or hit the shift lever with any force at all.

fordmerc    -- 05-14-2013 @ 5:32 AM
  I pulled the shifter tower. The ball at the end of the lever was jammed between the two levers.
The ball is flattened slightly on the sides and this looks as if it were machined that way. The drawings show a round ball. Is this flattening wear or manufacture?

42wagon    -- 05-14-2013 @ 6:27 AM
  After 70 plus years I don't think you can blame a manufacturing error. I have seen articles in Model A publications regarding wear on the end of the shift lever so I would bet this is also your problem. The solution is either to find an other shift lever or build up the worn areas on yours with weld and grind/ file it back to the correct ball shape.

TomO    -- 05-14-2013 @ 6:59 AM
  From Mac Van Pelt book,

"Watch for heavy side wear on the stub tip.If the tip has large flats on either side, it will translate to more lateral movement up at the knob end. Normally you will see a round flat on each side of about 1/16" diameter."

He goes on to explain that you could build up the ball with welding and grinding or look for another lever.

Give Mac a call and buy his book if you intend on doing the work yourself.

Tom

ford1ford    -- 05-14-2013 @ 4:47 PM
  there is someone'just who slips my mind sells a new shift lever its just a little bigger than nos to take up the wear i have one in my thirty five works good every thing very tight.

fordmerc    -- 05-16-2013 @ 9:15 AM
  I pulled the tower, added a little metal to the ball to make it round, now when I try to put it back on I find the gears are in third but I can't move them (put the tower on in third gear position)
Now I don't think the problem was the shift lever.
I tried rocking the car, no benefit.
How do I get the transmission out of third gear when the shift lever won't budge it?

fortyfordguy    -- 05-16-2013 @ 2:54 PM
  There aren't enough details in your posts to be able to offer a definitive answer to your question. After reading all the replies, I think we'd all be continuing to ride the "guesstimate" parade on this one. The fact that you can't get it out of 3rd gear (even with the shifter out) suggests there may be other issues....or even overlapping problems in the gearbox. I would think that at this point you may want to get the trans out and in the hands of someone who is very familiar with the early Ford 3 speed transmissions. I'm sure that we, or any other qualified individual could go through your trans and figure out what needs attention.......... Mac VanPelt

fordmerc    -- 05-16-2013 @ 3:16 PM
  I'm limited in my ability to describe the problem further. When this happened the car was not in motion nor the engine running; I just gently bumped the lever. Now with the tower off I can't manually move the the gear that is moved by the high-intermediate shifter.
Because the problem began so simply I was hoping there was an easy fix that I missed. Pulling the transmission seems drastic so I hope I'll solve the problem another way.

supereal    -- 05-16-2013 @ 3:37 PM
  Removing the transmission may not be necessary. Be sure that the sliding gears are in the neutral position before you insert the forks. Even a small amount of mesh will prevent turning the gears. I'm not trying to second guess Mac VP, but I've strugged more than once to get everything lined up "just right" so the top will fit back on the case. If not, I suspect something is amiss in the tower, itself.

fordmerc    -- 05-18-2013 @ 5:40 PM
  I found the problem (but not the solution I want). The retainer ring (presumably for the strut keys) in front of the synchronizer rings is in a position to prevent backward movement of the 3rd(?) gear. It appears to have "popped out".
I'll play around with it but it looks like very bad news.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6018