Topic: restoration

46fordnut    -- 05-07-2013 @ 10:31 AM
  I'm lost what to do first....maybe you guys can help...i want to redo the wiring in the whole car, but the car needs a lot of other stuff...lets say it this way..the car has been in new jersey it's whole life from 46 till present... so you can only image what it looks like.. it does run and drive, but the cloth is coming off of the wires ...i don't want it to burn up!!! what should be done first....body, engine,wiring....ect? thank you in advance.

100 horse running wild

nelsb01    -- 05-07-2013 @ 10:59 AM
  From what it sounds like, you will be doing it all. I would get a wiring diagram, and start at the front and work to the rear. Otherwise, if you are just going to do parts, both the engine and body wiring are pretty much one piece (lots of connections to one another) -- as each is needed to run the vehicle.

woodiewagon46    -- 05-07-2013 @ 12:13 PM
  What is your ultimate goal, are you going to do a total restoration, are you just going to drive the car while you do some repairs? The first thing I would do is make your car safe. If your worried about the wiring, that's what you should do first. You can get all the wiring harness' you need from several places. Make sure your brakes are good and your suspension is safe and enjoy your nice survivor!!

46fordnut    -- 05-07-2013 @ 12:39 PM
  just to make it safe and a nice looking driver...not a trailer queen...

100 horse running wild

trjford8    -- 05-07-2013 @ 6:20 PM
  I would definitely do the wiring first if you want to make it safe. Check around on wiring prices. I have used the harnesses from Sacramento Vintage Ford and found them to be cheaper than other suppliers. The harnesses are well made and colored coded just like the factory harness.

supereal    -- 05-07-2013 @ 7:10 PM
  We advise obtaining shop manuals and catalogs from mainstream dealers if you are new to restoration. If you are not a club member, join for support, and to locate nearby "old hands" who can help you sort out priorities to make the car safe, and not over invest before you determine the value of the vehicle.

46fordnut    -- 05-08-2013 @ 10:23 AM
  OK thank you guys...I'm checking out as per what you say and will go from there. once again thank you for the help in " steering " me in the right way

100 horse running wild

woodiewagon46    -- 05-08-2013 @ 3:21 PM
  The V-8 club sells a great book for 1946 thru 1948 fords. I is a wealth of information and covers just about everything you need for your car.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6006