Topic: Coolant leak from driver side head

1936TWC    -- 05-06-2013 @ 2:06 PM
  I have a coolant leak on driver side head. Is Barrs Coolant leak my first option? When do I consider changing the Head gasket? The leak occured over the winter. Thanks.

Marty

supereal    -- 05-06-2013 @ 3:32 PM
  Where is it leaking, and how much? Did you check your antifreeze last fall to determine its strength? Barr's is good stuff, and we use it at our shop. But first, determine where and how it happened. If it is a freeze damage, you may also have it into the oil pan.

This message was edited by supereal on 5-6-13 @ 3:33 PM

trjford8    -- 05-06-2013 @ 7:32 PM
  Is this an older motor or a rebuild. If a rebuild did you re-torque the heads at some point? If not the head(s) may need to be re-torqued. Is it leaking around a stud? or between the block and the head?
As Bob says check the pan for coolant as it may be more serious than a head gasket.

1936TWC    -- 05-07-2013 @ 11:39 AM
  Thanks for the replies. I live in Northern Minnesota and the car is stored in a well insulated but unheated
garage. It was a cold winter but not extremely cold. I first noticed a large, green puddle under the car and was close to heart failure. I thought the leak was from the radiator but I discovered it was leaking from a corner of the driver side head. I took a torque wrench with the setting at 44lbs and found two in the area that were loose. I did not check any of the others. Irealize there is a correct tightening sequence
so I did not want to create additional problems. After
I did that I added more antifreeze. It seamed to be leaking from another part of the head but not certain I
overlooked it previously. I checked the oil but did not
look like anti freeze was present. I bough the car in
early November and stored it immediately. Then the problem. The motor has only 156 miles on it and is a
original 1936 motor. The car was restored in 2005.
Thanks. Marty

1936TWC    -- 05-07-2013 @ 11:52 AM
  Some other items;

1. The previous owner said ne maxed rated the coolant so that should be -84 degrees. I always have put 50/50 and never had any trouble.
2. I cannot definelty pinpoit a specific area but I would say that it is a gasket leak. I just checked it now and level seems to be ok. It is hard to trace,find leaks and there source.I installed a white toweling
in suspected leak areas and will watch it.

trjford8    -- 05-07-2013 @ 6:23 PM
  Re-torque the heads, put in a 50/50 mix of coolant and a bottle of liquid Barr's leak. I suspect that will solve the problem.

supereal    -- 05-07-2013 @ 7:02 PM
  With that few miles on it, I suspect more than poor torque on the head bolts.. At the very least, I'd pull both heads and inspect for cracks or other defects. Have both heads checked and resurfaced before reinstalling with new head gaskets. Over the years, I have seen too many quicky "slap togther and sell it" situations not to be suspicious. I do hope that is not your case.

1936TWC    -- 05-08-2013 @ 12:51 PM
  Thanks so much for the reply. Somewhere I read on the procedure to correctly seqeuntially torquing the heads. Where can I find that? Thanks.What are the correct torque values?

1936TWC    -- 05-08-2013 @ 12:53 PM
  Thanks so much for the reply. Would a regular machine shop be able ro resurface the heads correctly or would I need to send them somewhere? Thanks.

Marty

MG    -- 05-08-2013 @ 3:28 PM
  Go to this website:
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_cylinderhead_torque-specs.htm

supereal    -- 05-08-2013 @ 6:51 PM
  Most competent machine shops can check and surface your cylinder heads. The amount to be removed should only be enough to bring them true. When we do the job, we also Magna Flux them to detect any non visible problems. Good machine shops are becoming scarce. Local garages or parts houses may be able to recommend one in your area.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6002