Topic: Clutch

Joe2009    -- 05-03-2013 @ 8:46 AM
  I am rebuilding the transmission on our '39 deluxe coupe and have a question on the clutch. I haven't yet checked the mileage from rebuild (don't know that I can), but when we look at the clutch and pressure plate on the engine, it looks really clean and has no dust under the clutch plate. I can see the edge of the clutch plate and can measure it's thickness, but I don't know what the thickness of a new plate is. Does any one know? (Note that I have not had a problem with the clutch, just a broken tooth on the transmission.)

"The older I get, the better I was."

kubes40    -- 05-03-2013 @ 2:31 PM
  Each new facing was a nominal .125" (1/8"). So, .250 total plus the thickness of the disc.

supereal    -- 05-03-2013 @ 3:38 PM
  We recommend replacement of at least the clutch disk while the driveline is apart. Visual inspection is largely inconclusive. Because the composition of the disk material was changed, due to the threat of asbestos contamination, the old Ford clutch "shudder" problem became even more evident. If your pressure plate surface is not showing evidence of scoring or burning, it is likely OK. I'd replace the pilot bearing, and the release bearing, if you note any roughness when you turn it. The parts are relatively inexpensive, and can prevent having to undertake the big job of pulling the drive line later.

TomO    -- 05-04-2013 @ 7:04 AM
  If you decide to replace the clutch disc, be sure to block the pressure plate fingers to release the pressure on the disc before loosening any of the bolts. This will prevent warping the cover. A warped cover can cause clutch chatter.

If your car was a daily driver, I would replace the pressure plate and disc as long as you had the transmission out of the car. For an occasional driver, like most of our collector cars, you can probably leave the clutch alone, if there is enough facing material on the disc.

I belong to the school that practices "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The more you fix, the more you have to fix, to repair the mistakes and poor quality of replacement parts.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5995