Topic: Installing lower radiator hoses on 50 Ford

Pat's 52    -- 04-28-2013 @ 6:29 PM
  I'm having difficulty installing lower hoses on 50 Ford. Can anybody give some suggestions? I tried putting them in hot water but that didn't help.

supereal    -- 04-28-2013 @ 8:47 PM
  Be sure that the replacement hoses are the same length as those being removed. We have found that many new ones are longer than the originals, which can make replacement difficult or impossible. You may have to trim to size.

Pat's 52    -- 04-29-2013 @ 5:41 AM
  Super, thank you for the response. I will check the size. Unfortunately I destroyed the first one cutting it off. I will compare it with the other one. Also, a fellow regional group member told me to use silicone.

supereal    -- 04-29-2013 @ 5:49 AM
  Some silicone spray might help, but avoid the RTV type, or removing the hoses later can be a problem. The hoses only have to cover the sealing ridge on the outlets with enough room for a clamp. Using very hot water to soften the hoses usually helps so you can bend them in the middle enough to slip them in place. You said you tried it, but it takes some time to get them warm enough.

DEAN333    -- 04-29-2013 @ 6:24 PM
  Use good ol' Gojo white hand cleaner inside the hose, will slide right on and the Gojo will disolve when water runs thru.

TIM CARLIG

This message was edited by DEAN333 on 4-29-13 @ 6:26 PM

Old Henry    -- 04-29-2013 @ 7:27 PM
  I found that with the radiator loose in its cradle it slides forward an inch or so and gives a little extra room for the job. Then, once the hoses are on, slide it back into place and put on the clamps.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

Pat's 52    -- 04-30-2013 @ 12:20 PM
  Thank you all for your ideas. I found out the hoses were a half inch too long. So I cut them down. Then I put the hoses in boiling water for about 30 minutes. Then I sprayed silicones inside. I then struggled with them but it was easier. I put them on the radiator neck first all the way on. Then bent and twisted them onto the water pump outlet. Now all I have to hope for is that they don't leak.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5981