Topic: Star stamps for serial numbers

tommorookian    -- 01-13-2010 @ 5:02 AM
  I may have located a source for 3/16 inch and 1/4 inch 5 point star stamps. I'm waiting for a quote from the manufacturing plant. I expect these to be priced under $20 if I buy them in quantites of 20 or more.

The question is: how many would you guys want if I can get them?

supereal    -- 01-13-2010 @ 6:11 AM
  I'm not sure restamping serial numbers is wise, unless it duplicates existing numbers for legal purposes.

Flatbob    -- 01-13-2010 @ 9:35 AM
  Maybe a little off the subject, but isn't this how you would be able to register a vehicle, say a hot rod that never existed before and has a reproduction frame. I often wondered how the those guys got their car registered when it never had a title. I'm assuming they all didn't buy a title somewhere.

supereal    -- 01-13-2010 @ 9:57 AM
  In our area (Iowa)most use an existing title, if available. If not, the vehicle must be inspected by a representative of the DMV, usually a law officer, to determine if it meets all safety standards. If it passes, a VIN is assigned to be stamped, or otherwise affixed, to the vehicle, and to be carried by a fresh title. Most DMV's are leery of old car registrations, as they are often used to disguise an expensive street rod in order to avoid full registration fees. An arbitrary number, picked out of the air, may result in charges, and denial of registration.

wmsteed    -- 01-13-2010 @ 10:23 AM
  I am not sure how other states handle the street/rat rod titling on vehicles that are "kit" cars.
There was a time in the past when you could register a " home built" car in CA by just having the vehicle inspected, then the State assigned a number to the vehicle. In the last few years California has gotten very touchy about the subject.
If you do a front clip/sub-frame on a vehicle, you had better save the section (s) of frame that had a VIN, re-stamping same in the proper location.
It is my understanding that CA will title and register a "kit car", indenting same as to the vehicle it resembles, however the year of manufacture makes the vehicle subject to smog/safety rules in effect for the year of manufacture.
I know a couple of guys that have had to purchase an old car, '27 and '32 Fords, with valid VIN's and titles so they could secure valid numbers for their cars.
I have made mention before here on the EFV8 forum, don't get your street rod all built before you start the registration process. As soon as you buy the car and/or partial car, get it titled and registered, then put it on a NON-OP. When the car is finished you just have to send in the fee's and proof of insurance.

***I know I would probably be interested in having a star for my 1/8" engine stamp set.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

wmsteed    -- 01-13-2010 @ 10:47 AM
  To second what Super said.....
What ever you do, don't pick a number out of the air to use as a VIN. With the instant data base that is available to the DMV's, they have the means to establish if a VIN is correct for any year/model vehicle.
We all know that the VIN's on EFV9's don't mean much, however they are year specific.
I was recently told by a police officer that if they suspect a vehicle has improper VIN's, they can confiscate the vehicle.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

larryb346    -- 01-13-2010 @ 12:46 PM
  This goes back to the post "37 coupe found-need new title"
There were a lot of suggestions on how to beat the system and lie and get a title.
In any state the altering or defacing a vehicle serial number is a crime. Most states its a felony but a few is a misdemeanor. The manufacturer number can not be mutated , defaced, or changed period. You can not make your own serial number and stamp it in the frame. You can not take a bare frame and stamp a serial number in it.
I spent 5 years in the auto theft recovery section in Missouri and can guarantee you if your caught there will be consequences.
I confiscated many cars and they were smashed as scrap iron due to no one being able to prove ownership.
As far a State not keeping records don't buy that either. The records might not be on computer files but when a need is there to locate a old serial number or title record the records will be hand searched and records back into the 60's can be located if needed.
Many states will allow a attorney to petition a court and get a court ordered title if you can prove you have a vested interest in the car.
Not trying to get on the wrong side of anyone but if you sign for a lost title most states require a notarized statement you lost the title .
If you lie in front to a notary that is no different than lying in front of a judge and that's perjury.
I have arrested people for that also when the title applications is falsified.
The bottom line is if your car is not right with all the correct numbers, like and where they belong, with nothing tampered or screwed around with, you will not get your car back if it is stolen and ends up in the hands of a law enforcement agency. You likely will not collect insurance if the car is stolen and you have no proof of ownership. A falsified title is not proof of ownership.
Take it for what it's worth from someone that has been there done that I sure hated to watch $40,000 street rods and antique cars loaded in the hopper and smashed, but have done many for just the reasons I outlined above and the next one could be your car if it's not right. As far as the star, if it's special and only related to the ford serial number it may be unlawful to make or possess a item with the purpose of creating a fraudulent serial number.
Not trying to preach but trying to end any illusions about your cars and your beating the system. I was the system.

This message was edited by larryb346 on 1-13-10 @ 1:09 PM

TomO    -- 01-14-2010 @ 8:10 AM
  Good advice, Larryb46. Short cuts will burn you.

Tom

wmsteed    -- 01-14-2010 @ 9:28 AM
  I know two guys that lost cars they had a lot of money in because a former owner proved the cars had been stolen.
If a person pays attention to current news, you should recall the resent articles about vehicles that had been stolen over thirty-five years ago, and were recently recovered.
A "Vette" stolen in NYC, in the 1960's, recovered as it was being loaded into a container for export.
A '56 T-Bird, stolen in Hayward, CA in the '60's, recovered when the car was purchased in the mid-west and returned to CA three years ago.
A VW window van that was stolen thirty plus years ago, that was recently recovered.
I changed how I handle undocumented vehicles when I almost got burnt on a '79 Bronco I restored several years ago... I made the mistake of not clearing the ownership until I had the vehicle all restored.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

Carlock    -- 01-16-2010 @ 1:56 PM
  While you are at it how about making the stamp for the dash mark that has the little arrow heads on it that goes between the "18" and the rest of the number. You will need that also to get the correct look to your #.

MOXIE    -- 01-16-2010 @ 3:28 PM
  The dash mark has no arrow heads. What amazes me is the number of people selling cars who have ho idea where the vin number is on the car. They have a title but do not know how to connect it to the car they are selling. And there are floks who will buy the car without even checking to see if the title is correct.

wmsteed    -- 01-17-2010 @ 12:08 PM
  The answer to Moxie's question is..... you have to get burnt a time or two before you wake up to the fact that not all people are honest.
Also, in the case of old vehicles, they are just that, having very little value sitting out in the south forty, until someone said they were....ANTIQUES!!

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

39 Ken    -- 01-18-2010 @ 2:39 PM
  Moxie, this picture, if it posts, will show what carlock is referring to. It is of a tranny from a '39 PU truck. "Never say never" when it comes to a Ford.
http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx20/gjunertl/DSCF0066.jpg

51f1    -- 01-18-2010 @ 4:30 PM
  The reason someone might need a star stamp is to put a serial number on a reproduction patent data plate, which I paid someone to do. The new plate sure looks better in the restored engine compartment than the old one would.

When I got my truck about 21 years ago, the serial number on the registration was wrong. I didn't realize this until years later. I think that someone 59 years ago tried to copy the number stamped on the cowl but got it wrong. That was kind of dumb, because the "Engine Number" was stamped on two plates affixed to the body (maybe "Engine Number" confused them). When I restored the truck, I had to have a policeman verify the correct number before I could register the truck. In Georgia, titles are not required for vehicles made before some date in the '60s, and they will not issue a tile for any vehicle older than that date.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 1-18-10 @ 4:42 PM

Bullrhider    -- 03-23-2016 @ 5:56 PM
  Did you ever locate a source for the star stamps?

woodiewagon46    -- 03-24-2016 @ 6:44 AM
  McMaster-Carr has 3/16" star stamps part no. 1574T247 for $10.55.

woodiewagon46    -- 03-24-2016 @ 11:13 AM
  There is a company called Restostamps that has any stamp you can need. They specialize in antique cars. For example, they have the Model A set with the unique 1, 6 and 9. Also sets for V-8 Fords.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=595