Topic: 1936 key switch

40fordor    -- 04-18-2013 @ 2:53 PM
  Started my 36 after winter storage and worked the ignition toggle switch several times as I primed the carburetor. Turned the toggle to off and the key would not turn or extract. Now cannot move the toggle or the key. These are original item including the key and I do not want to break anything by too much force. Help needed.
Don

w

supereal    -- 04-18-2013 @ 3:30 PM
  It is likely that one or more of the tumblers in the key portion of the switch have jammed, preventing the release of the switch, itself. Obtain a lock lubricant and flood the key way, then work the key in and out and whatever rotation is available. Don't use penetrating oil or anything other than the graphite based lock lube. If this doesn't work, you will have to drill out the "break off" pin that holds the key cylinder in place. Most good vendors sell replacements at less cost than a locksmith would cost.

c-gor    -- 04-18-2013 @ 4:53 PM
  Try wiggling the steering wheel and/or try to move the key up or down in the slot

40fordor    -- 04-18-2013 @ 6:19 PM
  c-gor, I have already tried what you suggested to no avail.

super, Is what you call the "break off" pin the threaded pin directly under the key lock? If that is it, mine extends well below the lock housing and I think that I could cut a slot into the end for a large screwdriver. Could the pin be removed in this way? Thanks for both responses.
Don

mrtexas    -- 04-18-2013 @ 7:04 PM
  You can see the two twist off pins, one that holds on the whole drop and the other just the lock cylinder. I replaced the twist off with a hex pin. This is the one that hold the lock cylinder in place.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo153/pjsauber/36lock_zps24ba6e71.jpg

Could the pin be removed in this way?
The answer is yes.
I didn't twist off the one that holds on the drop.

This message was edited by mrtexas on 4-18-13 @ 7:05 PM

supereal    -- 04-18-2013 @ 7:24 PM
  To remove the pin that holds the cylinder, you have to drill the center of the pin and turn it with an "easy out". This tool is available at places that sell tools, and a set is not expensive. You drive it into the hole and the fluted sides grip the pin. If you don't want to try it, a good shop can get it out.

40fordor    -- 04-18-2013 @ 7:29 PM
  mrtexas, Thank you very much, I will now get on with the removal.
Don

40fordor    -- 04-18-2013 @ 7:39 PM
  super, My "pin" extends about 1/4 inch below the housing shown in the mrtexas picture. I think the pin was replaced from original and a small high speed grinder can quickly put a good screwdriver slot in the end. If that does not work I have easy outs. Thanks again to all who responded.
Don

flatheadfan    -- 04-19-2013 @ 1:26 AM
  40fordor-

After reading your initial question you may be dealing with a key problem. However, it may also be a locking collar problem. Attached to the steering gear shaft is a collar with a rectangular opening. This is the locking collar. If the locking pawl gets stuck in the collar (or won't smoothly release), you will not be able to turn the key or flip the toggle switch. This is more common than you might expect and can be a hassle to deal with.

Your best place to start is try moving the steering wheel back and forth. If things don't unlock then loosen the steering drop as mentioned by others. Once the drop is loosen try to move the entire drop assembly back and forth. If the toggle will now move and the key rotates you know what the problem was namely, the locking collar.

To avoid this problem, I usually just remove the two screws that attach the collar to the steering shaft and slide the collar down a couple of inches. Granted the steering gear assembly won't lock into position when the key is removed but I also remove a potential locking problem in the future. If I ever change my mind and want to revert back to the key lock I just slide up the collar and reinstall the two screws.

Hope this helps.

Tom

40fordor    -- 04-19-2013 @ 5:28 AM
  Tom, Your analysis is probably what I am experiencing. I have owned this car about 13 years. From day one as I turned the key the steering lock "plunger" did not come out easily and rocking the steering wheel would release it. Also with the toggle in the off position the column would not actually lock the steering. As I turned the wheel (in the locked Position) I could feel a bump as I passed the locking point. I will try your method first since it is the easy way if it works.
My 1940 also has a key broken off and is still in the lock. It was converted before I purchased it to a "parts house" switch mounted under the dash. I have owned that car for 54 years and with the information I have gained here I think I will restore the key switch back to original. Thanks to everyone again!
Don

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5941