Topic: 1948convertible HELP

shiney6    -- 04-16-2013 @ 10:43 AM
  I have a 1948 ford convertible that needs the top frames installed.I am looking for all information from the bolt to the measurements needed for the slats and even the cylinders used as well.Please help I will take all the advice I can.THANKS||||

This message was edited by shiney6 on 4-16-13 @ 10:54 AM

ford38v8    -- 04-16-2013 @ 10:51 AM
  I understand the cylinders to be problematic to rebuild, and then not up to snuff anyway. The place to go for a new system is Hydroelectric.

Hydro-E-Lectric www.hydroe.com/
Convertible tops and power window parts from 1946 through today.

Alan

42ford    -- 04-16-2013 @ 12:05 PM
  Are talking about hydraulic problems or do you want a pic showing where each top iron and bow go? There is a good pic in the back of the 42 Body Parts Manuel. I could email the pic, if you want

This message was edited by 42ford on 4-16-13 @ 12:06 PM

supereal    -- 04-16-2013 @ 3:04 PM
  I have been thru that job with my '47 convertible, which was a "basket case". The best diagrams of top mechanism, top iron assembly, and the overall top diagrams can be found in the 1944-1952 Ford Body Parts catalog. It is available from C&G (800-266-0470) for $52. Ask for book V-44. I also scoured my extensive collection of Ford service bulletins, and attached one here. The top is a proverbial "chinese puzzle" consisting of many slats, bars, and special bolts that is impossible to asemble without this info. As to the cylinders, pump, etc, Hydro-E-Lectric had what I needed. The original top used brake fluid, which resulted in the corrosion of the system because of the moisture that the fluid attracted. The H-E-L system uses ATM fluid. The only problem I encountered, once the top was adjusted and in place, was slow operation. I have designed a relay board that should fix that. I wll be installing it soon. I can tell you that reassembling that convertible top was a real challenge.

This message was edited by supereal on 4-16-13 @ 3:05 PM

shiney6    -- 04-17-2013 @ 3:40 PM
  HI,that would be great if you had diagrams explaining where each piece goes.I don't want to install it wrong so to know which bolts and frames go would ease the project.you can e-mail me at shiney6@frontier.com and thanks for the help.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5933