Topic: Windshield wipers go up but won't go back down

fsacht    -- 04-11-2013 @ 9:36 AM
  My 49 Ford wipers will not complete cycle. They go up but wont return unless I push the knob on the dash back in. A year or two ago in the V8 Times there was an article detailing refurbishing the wiper motor and descrided the full cycle function and related components. Went back through my copies and cant find the article. Any help to fix the motor or find the article welcome.

supereal    -- 04-11-2013 @ 10:25 AM
  Vacuum wipers have a sort of "flip-flop" mechanism that reverses the paddle. It is housed under an oblong cover on the side of the motor. Pry open the cover carefully and see if the flipper is stuck, or the spring is broken. If the motor has been inactive for a long time, you may be able to free it up. A small squirt of silicone spray may help.

fsacht    -- 04-11-2013 @ 7:17 PM
  Thanks. I'll remove that cover and see what it looks like. I found the two issues of V8 Times that spoke to wiper motors, Sept./Oct.2005 pg16 on refurbish and May/June 2003 pg20 on lubing the piston(flapper).

TomO    -- 04-12-2013 @ 7:32 AM
  Be sure to lube the linkage also.

Tom

Robert/Texas    -- 04-16-2013 @ 8:30 AM
  The wiper on my '34 roadster did that about 10 years or so ago. Someone suggested squirting WD40 into the intake and I did just that. It has been working ever since.

ford38v8    -- 04-16-2013 @ 10:57 AM
  If all else fails, send it to Kent:

Kent Jaquith, 2633 SW Obsidian # 15, Redmond, Oregon (541) 923-4319
Clean-Sweep Windshield Wiper Motor Service, Sales and Rebuilding

Alan

trjford8    -- 04-16-2013 @ 1:29 PM
  Kent Jaquith is the man for wipers. I've sent two to him and when you get them back they work as good as an electric wiper.

Steves46    -- 04-16-2013 @ 3:16 PM
  I disconnected one of the hoses that connect directly to the wiper motor on my 46 and squirted several drops of 3 & 1 oil. Additionally (like Tom recommended), sprayed some shots of white lithium grease on the linkages. It has worked great-even during accleration.

fsacht    -- 04-19-2013 @ 7:15 PM
  Removed the arm,pivot and motor assembly. Cleaned all parts. Removed motor and cover that encloses the flipper and spring Supereal mentioned. All of that was in place and functioning when I manually passed the pivot shaft through cycle. Lubed and ran the motor without arms and freed everything. Motor piston wasn't making full enough sweep to shift blade movement. Clean and lube was the answer. Many thanks to all.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5924