Topic: 39 coupe hood hinge and body color

Maxthedog1    -- 04-06-2013 @ 6:27 PM
  I am a new owner of a 39 coupe, so have a lot to learn. I have two questions today. The hood is of course hinged at the rear. Should there also be some type of spring included to hold the hood open? Or is the hood held open with some sort or support rod? Secondly, what were the original colors for the 39 standard coupe? Mine is a dark blue (I've heard it called Midnight Blue), but the engine compartment is green. So I presume the entire car was green at one time. Is there a source for color chips or color codes that would apply? Thanks for any help.

Stroker    -- 04-06-2013 @ 6:54 PM
  Maxthedog: First off, you need to tell us whether your 39 is a Standard or Deluxe. The
Standard is very similar to the 38 Deluxe, and uses a ratchet support system wherein you
raise the hood and it locks in place. To lower, you raise it slightly, and it will then close. The Deluxe, uses springs on the hinge assembly to support the weight. Many of the Standards were converted to a "prop rod" system, since service station folk (back when they checked your oil) would attempt to close the hood without first raising it to release the ratchet assembly. This resulted in bent hoods, and a characteristic "sneer" appearance on 38's and 39 Standards. The 39 Deluxe system is similar to the 40 Standard and Deluxe. As to color, I'd guess that the front of the firewall "may" be the original color, as it would have been painted the same color as the rest of the body when new. Go to http://www.tcpglobal.com/ to see original 39 colors. Everyone of us has had a lot to learn. Some of us just did it earlier in history. No one here will criticize just because you are new to early Ford ownership. We all try to help, and without new people
coming on board, our Club would die.

ford38v8    -- 04-06-2013 @ 10:35 PM
  Dan, I think you just got a bit confused regqrding the '39 Standard hood. It was the '37 and '38 that had the ratchet hood prop, not the '38 and '39 Standard. The '39 Standard in fact had a similar prop to the '39 Deluxe.

Maxthedog, welcome to the Forum! Stroker (Dan ) is usually right in there with good info, but sadly, he must be off his meds today... I'd suggest you purchase "The 1938-39 Ford Book, published and sold by the Early Ford V8 Club (EFV8CA This website). It will provide answers to your most intimate questions about your Ford!
https://www.earlyfordv8.org/store-product-item.cfm?id=9&pid=2

The answer to your question could have been found on page 4-46 of the book I suggested.

Alan

39 Ken    -- 04-07-2013 @ 4:21 AM
  If your car is a '39 DeLuxe, it doesn't use a prop. It uses a spring arrangement at the hinges. If you need the spring arrangement, they are available through most of the suppliers. Ken

kubes40    -- 04-07-2013 @ 5:38 AM
  The dark blue on the '39 standard was called "Jefferson Blue". My favorite for that model...

Stroker    -- 04-07-2013 @ 8:46 AM
  Maxthedog: 38fordv8 is mistaken regarding my meds, but he took the time to reference the "bible" that he also contributed to. I have the excellent book, and should have checked it before I ranted on with my personal erroneous recollections.

Maxthedog1    -- 04-07-2013 @ 6:59 PM
  It is a Standard, sorry to leave that important piece of info out of my question. It sounds like the 38-39 Ford Book is a must-buy! Thanks all.

39topless    -- 04-10-2013 @ 10:42 AM
  Buy the book and read it cover to cover. The authors threw in bits and pieces of great information about certain body styles in places you might skip over thinking the paragraph doesn't specifically apply to your model.All the information is fascinating to me and may be to you too. I just got a 39 delux and bought the book immediatly. Next to buying the car, it was the best decision I've made in a while. If you are planning on painting your car, it seems that cars painted their original colors tend to be more valuable if you ever wish to sell it. Good luck with your ride. Phil

This message was edited by 39topless on 4-10-13 @ 10:54 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5907