Topic: Tranmission Mounts

LarryK    -- 04-04-2013 @ 3:17 PM
  I am replacing the transmission mounts in my '39 Tudor Deluxe. I am not able to remove the bolt from the old mount. The weight has been taken off of the mount, the cotter pin and nut have been removed, and the bolt turns freely in the mount. It seems that I should be able to pull the bolt down out of the mount but I can't. It moves slightly, but appears to be hung up in the rubber somehow (it is springy). Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Larry

alanwoodieman    -- 04-04-2013 @ 3:54 PM
  sound like the top washer has been sort of crushed down around the releive below the threads-get a grip on the bolt head with a pair of vice grips and pull and pry down

kubes40    -- 04-05-2013 @ 5:44 AM
  I'd like to suggest that you save the old bolts. The Drake repops are too short and you may very well need to utilize your old ones.

JM    -- 04-05-2013 @ 7:26 AM
  I had some that were stuck like you describe. I had to drive them out with a dead blow hammer and soft drift to keep from messing up the threaded end. I also save the old original bolts as Kube suggests. They seem to be made better than the bolts that come with new kits

JM

39 Ken    -- 04-06-2013 @ 5:18 AM
  I've heard that there are different quality motor mounts available. Who sells the best motor/transmission mount for the '39/'40?

supereal    -- 04-06-2013 @ 2:50 PM
  We use C&G (800/266-0470). If you have problems removing the mounts, chances are someone didn't use all the cups and washers required

This message was edited by supereal on 4-6-13 @ 4:56 PM

LarryK    -- 04-20-2013 @ 7:46 AM
  You were correct. The molded-in top washer in the upper cushion was seized to the bolt. Had to cut all the rubber away to grab the washer and twist the bolt to break it free. Then had to yank it out. Same procedure on both rear mounts. Was about to resort to cutting the bolts. Glad I didn't. New bolts from Bob Drake are too short. Had to reuse the original bolts.
Thanks

LarryK    -- 04-20-2013 @ 7:52 AM
  Good advice on saving the old bolts. The new ones from Bob Drake are too short. I had to reuse the old ones. I questioned Drake on this. They were unaware of this and do not have the longer bolts.
The chassis parts books gives two different lengths with the change sometime in 1937-1938. I guess some of the longer bolts made it into 1939.
Thanks

LarryK    -- 04-20-2013 @ 7:54 AM
  Thanks, this was exactly the case. I questioned Drake on this. They were unaware of the different lengths.

kubes40    -- 04-20-2013 @ 8:07 AM
  I questioned Drake on this. They were unaware of the different lengths.

This is a variation of their typical response. Another variation is "Oh, you are the very first guy that has had this trouble".

TomO    -- 04-20-2013 @ 10:15 AM
  Right on Mike.

They were still selling a too short fan belt years after they were told about it and everyone that complained was the first.

Tom

woodiewagon46    -- 04-20-2013 @ 10:44 AM
  Drake told me the same thing when I told them that three of the bolts on the rear rubber fender guards for my 46 Wagon were in the wrong location, " Gee we never had complaint about this before". I also told them that the "8" I purchased from them, for my hood ornament lasted a couple of weeks before the spot weld broke. "Never had a problem before. " Yeah right, I'm from NY and I have a bridge to sell you!

supereal    -- 04-20-2013 @ 2:32 PM
  When I bought the rear fender stone guards from Drake, the nuts supplied didn't match the studs on the guards. I suspected the studs were metric threaded, and I was right. I called Drake to tell them, and got the same"nobody else complained" response. Bob Drake has been a main force in the old Ford parts business, but between the usual long back orders and B.S. from their order takers, we buy very little there now. Over the years, I've taken some flak for recommending C&G, but they know what they are selling, and whether they have it.

MG    -- 04-20-2013 @ 6:39 PM
  I'd buy from C&G if they were not located in California. Any chance I get to avoid paying the excessive sales taxes there, I'll do so. I purchase most of my parts from MAC'S out of New York. I've had no problem with their customer service and their prices are ballpark. They have a good stock of parts and their website is far superior to that of C&G and most other suppliers - very user friendly.

And, yes, I know that the days of avoiding sales taxes are numbered for internet purchases.......

This message was edited by MG on 4-21-13 @ 11:02 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5900