Topic: 36 water pump question

wilmalcolm    -- 04-03-2013 @ 11:23 AM
  HI,
I have 3 water pumps for my '36. From the 35-36 book I can see that none of them are for a '35. My question is: the two on the right have a heavy texture to them, I first thought it was from pitting but I think that that is the way they were originally cast. Are any of them original Ford pumps? I don't like the rough casting look.

Don Rogers    -- 04-03-2013 @ 1:30 PM
  None of the pumps that you show are correct production style water pumps. They are all universal replacement pumps. The one on the right with the webbed pulley is not Ford for sure. The one on the left and the one in the center could be Ford replacement pumps. Look to see if there are any part numbers on the main body of the pump.

wilmalcolm    -- 04-03-2013 @ 3:44 PM
  The one in the middle is stamped either CRAPHO or GRAPHO, Maybe s stands for cr*po? The left pump has no markings while the right has a triangle with the letter A inside it, The number 8 is below the triangle. I guess I will use them until I can find a proper pair for a reasonable cost.
Thanks!

drkbp    -- 04-03-2013 @ 7:43 PM
  Don,

How do the production water pumps differ in appearance? Do they have part numbers on them? I have never really looked at any of my water pumps that close but I know they have little differences in the pully etc. The only thing I really look for is that they can go either side. I have seen a rather long necked version that was on '32's but figured all the rest would go '33 through '36 without a problem as far as fit and service was concerned.

I don't have any of the detachable impeller or roller bearing types but they are also out there. I think the roller bearing type was intended for trucks. I do like to look for water pumps because there must have been millions of them and you can still find new ones in the box. I got one week before last for 34 bucks, Western Auto. It looks like the one on the right in your photo.

Ken in Texas

This message was edited by drkbp on 4-3-13 @ 7:50 PM

supereal    -- 04-04-2013 @ 10:57 AM
  The Ford water pumps bear the number 68-8502 for 33-36 in the C&G catalog. They fit either side. Years ago, many parts suppliers, such as Western Auto, Pep Boys, etc, offered their own pumps, which accounts for the variation in style, finish, and numbers. Ford pumps were a high volume replacement item, as the bushings were susceptible to rapid wear if the belt was ovetightened, causing leaks at the shaft. It is advised that when replacing a pump, change both, as they tend to fail in pairs. Modern replacements have improved components such as bearings and seals.

Don Rogers    -- 04-05-2013 @ 8:08 AM
  Ken, My answering your question will probably open up a can of worms since there are millions of these water pumps out there. I am going to relate what information I have found at the Benson Ford Archives over the last decade or so. I will be discussing the grease type pump only.

First of all, production pumps will be for one side only, either drivers side with temp bulb outlet and outward left facing grease fitting or passenger side with no outlet and the grease fitting facing to the right outside. The main body of the pump should have the body only part number. 40-8505/48-8506 for 1935 and early 1936, and 68-8506/68-8505 for later 1936.

The replacement pump (not correct for production) carried by dealers was a single pump that could be used on either side of the engine. It had the temp bulb outlet with brass plug that could be used when the pump was used on the passenger side. It was also drilled and tapped on both sides of the body so the grease fitting could be moved to face outward on either side..

1935 and early 1936 pumps had a brass grease fitting with cap that was perpendicular to the pump body While the later 1936 pumps had a cad plated pressure release grease fitting that was angled back away from the pulley. (See Image)

drkbp    -- 04-05-2013 @ 11:46 AM
  Don,

I have some pumps that are the no temp boss. I never really connected what was intended. Thanks for the pictures on the pumps. I have to check mine out. Now I see what is going on. I saw a no temp boss pump last week but wasn't interested in it because it was not able to be used on either side. Thanks again for sharing on the '35 and '36 pumps. These pumps also had a real left and right when factory new.

Ken in Texas

This message was edited by drkbp on 4-5-13 @ 11:50 AM

39 Ken    -- 04-06-2013 @ 5:15 AM
  Don, Your picture of the '36 pump shows a grease fitting with two different inputs, each of a different design. Are they original and why two different connections? Ken

Don Rogers    -- 04-06-2013 @ 10:33 AM
  Ken, There is only one grease fitting. The other device is the pressure release. See enclosed image.

39 Ken    -- 04-07-2013 @ 4:32 AM
  Thanks Don, Never have seen that one before. Ken

wilmalcolm    -- 04-07-2013 @ 5:39 AM
  Thank you all for giving me succinct answers. Now I need get the proper pumps!

Don Rogers    -- 04-07-2013 @ 6:51 AM
  Heres a closeup of the grease fittings. Note that there were 3 designs for the 36 pressure release fitting.

3w2    -- 04-07-2013 @ 5:35 PM
  Don,

I believe that there were two different designs of pressure-relief grease fittings used originally on late '36 pumps. There's the pot-bellied one shown in your photos which is the one most commonly encountered and one with a rectangular body. Most likely the two designs represented two different suppliers.

Dave

JM    -- 04-08-2013 @ 1:48 AM
  I recently went through all of my collection of '35 & '36 water pumps. I found ~ 8 left side '35's with #48-8506 and 3 right side '35's with #40-8505. Most of these have the brass grease fittings as Don shows on the left side in his picture.
On the '36's I found 6-8 left side with #68-8506 and only one right side with #68-8505. I also found all three types of grease fittings that Don shows on the right side in his picture. I never took notice before that there were three different types of grease fitting on '36 pumps. Thanks for the information Don.

JM

JM    -- 04-08-2013 @ 8:07 AM
  Deleted duplicate post. I have no idea why this happens on this forum.

This message was edited by JM on 4-8-13 @ 8:49 AM

JM    -- 04-08-2013 @ 8:07 AM
  Deleted duplicate post. I have no idea why this happens on this forum.

This message was edited by JM on 4-8-13 @ 8:46 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5896