Topic: '36 hood fit problem?

Flatbob    -- 04-02-2013 @ 4:11 PM
  Can't figure out why passenger side hood panel has a large gap where it meets grill sh*ll, yet other side fits reasonably well. Any suggestions on what to try?

This message was edited by Flatbob on 4-2-13 @ 4:12 PM

supereal    -- 04-02-2013 @ 9:29 PM
  The best, and usually only, way to get sheet metal to fit is to loosen all mounting bolts and shift the pieces until the gaps are at least even.On the front clip, that usually includes shifting the radiator cradle. If you are lucky, the frame is square. It doesn't take much to cock the frame, as many old cars have been towed or hit sometime in their lives. If so, a well equipped body shop can pull it back into position. Otherwise, there may not be enough slack at the bolts to fit the body sections. If you have radiator rods between the cowl and the radiator, adjusting them should also be considered.

Flatbob    -- 04-02-2013 @ 10:36 PM
  Super, by "shifting radiator cradle", do you mean where the radiator bolts to the frame? When the body was off the frame I measured diagonally across the frame corner to corner and it was right on the money, also after mounting the body I measured from the firewall forward to diagonal points on the frame and it was right on the money also. Thanks for responding. Bob

TomO    -- 04-03-2013 @ 7:27 AM
  It looks like the grill sh*ll is too low on the passenger side. It also looks like the top of the sh*ll needs to be moved toward the fire wall to reduce the gap between the ornament and the hood hinge.

Use Supereal's advice and loosen all of the grill and sh*ll bolts and try to adjust the gaps by shifting the grill and sh*ll to fit the hood , after the hood is fitted to the cowl. Tape the edges of the hood and the sh*ll to reduce the chance of chipping the paint more.

Tom

Flatbob    -- 04-03-2013 @ 7:51 AM
  Am now wondering if the frame is twisted, when I located jack stands under the frame there is quite a difference in where the stands are located in relation to each other on opposite sides of the frame before they both make contact with the frame; I don't believe my garage floor is that far off from being level. Also, there are two upper mounting brackets located on either side of the radiator and they seem to be positioned too far outward to allow pushing sh*ll rearward but am afraid I'll break them off if I try to bend them inward.

Flatbob    -- 04-03-2013 @ 10:12 AM
  Re-positioned the jacks under front axle & am confident frame isn't twisted from firewall forward. Will continue to loosen everything up and see if I can shim up radiator on passenger side.

ford38v8    -- 04-03-2013 @ 4:57 PM
  Be prepared to shim the body, not just the front clip.

Alan

Flatbob    -- 04-03-2013 @ 6:10 PM
  As TomO suggested, it appears the grill needs to come up and rearward as shown by the misalignment of the sh*ll and radiator bracket. As it is now the fender panel next to the grill firs on top of the headlight stand perfectly but if I raise the sh*ll up it won't.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5893