Topic: 36 flywheel shim?

wilmalcolm    -- 04-02-2013 @ 2:42 PM
  Hi
I just installed my flywheel to my recently rebuilt LB engine. When installing it to the crankshaft is there a shim that goes between the flywheel and the attaching bolts? Any idea what to torque the bolts?
Thanks

JM    -- 04-02-2013 @ 7:16 PM
  There is a sheet metal ring with four holes (looks like a large washer) that is used on the front/center area of flywheel prior to installing the four bolts that hold the flywheel to the flange on the rear of the crankshaft. I don't recall what the torque spec is for those four bolts, but after they are properly torqued, they should be safety wired through the holes in the hex heads.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 4-2-13 @ 7:18 PM

wilmalcolm    -- 04-03-2013 @ 5:43 AM
  Thanks, I thought that was so, I just needed it to be confirmed. I'll torque the bolts at 60 lbs. hopefully that won't be too much and sheer off into the flywheel.

TomO    -- 04-03-2013 @ 7:08 AM
  The torque specs for the flywheel bolts is 65-70 Ft. Lbs. You should use the special flywheel bolts available from Roy Nacewicz and safety wire them after tightening them.

Tom

supereal    -- 04-04-2013 @ 11:10 AM
  The flywheel bolts are 7/16", 20 thread, and 7/8" long. Be sure that both the crankshaft flange and flywheel recess are completely clean before assembly and, as Tom as given, the tightening torque is 65-70 ft pounds. Tighten on opposite sides as you go, and install the safety wire when tight. If you haven't had the clutch surface of the flywheel surfaced, it is a good idea to do so. Be sure the machine shop knows what they are doing, as any runout will result in excessive clutch shudder.

wilmalcolm    -- 04-04-2013 @ 1:38 PM
  Thanks for the responses. I have the old bolts with the drilled heads and they are in good condition. The flywheel has been resurfaced and the machine shop knows what it is doing. I'll torque them as you have specified and wire them.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5892