Topic: Overdrive conversion to 12 volts?

Grant    -- 04-01-2013 @ 5:32 AM
  One of our local enthusiasts has converted a '51 to 12 volts.

He wants to somehow get the electrical portion of the overdrive changed to run on twelve volts without damaging anything.

Can this be done? Is a different relay required? Would the relay have to be fused?

What about the governor.....will it care if the voltage is doubled?

Does there have to be a separate or isolated ground connection because of the switch from positive to negative grounding?

Would it make more sense to change the overdrive electrical system to the 12 volt components which Ford used in 1956/1957/1958?

Will a 1956 Ford overdrive transmission bolt up to the 1951 bell housing and work properly using the '51 clutch? If so, would removing the entire 1951 transmission and replacing it with a complete 1956 overdrive set-up be the best approach?

42merc    -- 04-01-2013 @ 7:01 AM
  A 12 volt relay is required, a 6 volt relay will not live on 12 volts. Use a 12 volt Ford or GM relay for this. I use a 12 volt horn relay with reconfigured wiring using a toggle instead of a kickdown switch.
The governor does not care what the voltage is.
I'm not aware of any polarity issues.
A 6 volt solenoid will run a long time on 12 volts (years), but the 12 volt solenoid from a '56 Ford, GM or Studebaker is a bolt in.
No need to change to a '56 transmission.

supereal    -- 04-01-2013 @ 7:05 AM
  The firewall relay must be changed, also the solenoid. The governor is just a switch, as is the rest of the circuit. These components have six volt coils. System polarity is not important. To be sure regarding swapping the entire transmission and OD, you with need to consult an interchange manual. I doubt that anything newer than '53 will swap. This illustrates why converting to twelve volts is most complicated and costly than any benefits received.

Grant    -- 04-02-2013 @ 7:27 AM
  Thank you to 42 merc and supereal.

Your comments and advice, as always, are very much appreciated.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5883