Topic: 51 f1 truck, carb flooding

37coop    -- 03-30-2013 @ 11:05 AM
  h*llo ,i collected my truck from the docks here in the u.k deivered from illinois,i bought it on ebay sight unseen,it was advertised as a strong running truck etc and i am pleased with it apart from i cant get it started . its been converted to 12 volt and its fitted with an electric fuel pump,the first time i tried to start it the pump didnt stop pumping (ticking noise didnt stop) and petrol(gas)leaked out of the carb body ,i tore the carb apart and cleaned it and made sure the float was working and put it back on the truck,i turned the ignition on and the ticking stopped when full but as soon as i tried to start it gas poured out again.the bottom of the carb/top of manifold is badly stained so it has obviously been a previous problem and i cant believe the problem hasnt been rectified by the previous owner ,i havnt had the truck running yet as its constantly flooding ,any ideas on the best way to tackle this ,apart from this i,m quite pleased with my purchase but i must say the photos and description made it appear better than in real life , thanks , jim.

woodiewagon46    -- 03-30-2013 @ 12:22 PM
  You do not mention a fuel pressure regulator in the fuel line. I don't know what make electric fuel pump you have but some pumps put out too much pressure. You could be putting too much pressure on your float controlled needle valve. You want to run the lowest fuel pressure you can to preserve the seats.

37coop    -- 03-30-2013 @ 12:48 PM
  thanks woody ,i dont know the make of the pump ,i only collected the truck 2 days ago and its a bit frustrating not being able to run it ...maybe the regulator could be the answer,how much pressure would be best ?i was thinking of going back to original pump system for the 8ba engine but i was hoping for a quickfix and not sending an order to the states and waiting etc ,i dont really know the best way to go,hopefully somebody will come up with the answer ,thanks again ...jim.

51f1    -- 03-30-2013 @ 1:03 PM
  I agree. It sounds like too much fuel pressure. The V-8 mechanical pump put out 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 PSI.

Richard

supereal    -- 03-30-2013 @ 7:34 PM
  I'd reinstall the mechanical pump, and keep the electric for a back up and priming. As said above, fuel pressure above 3 pounds will overwhelm the float needle. Do be sure that the carb float isn't full of fuel or, if a solid or cork float, fuel soaked.

37coop    -- 03-31-2013 @ 2:00 AM
  thanks all, i,ll settle for what has been suggested,i guess living in the uk there is no quick fix as all the bits i need will be shipped from the usa ,i,v got a mechanical pump backed up by an elactric (6V)on my 39 coupe ,do you think i should still use a pressure regulator in line? also i,m not sure about the rod required for the new mechanical pump setup ,i,v heard some stories where it has to be messed with to adjust the flow ,that stuff is out of my comfort zone. i,v got to buy the whole mechanical pump kit except the pump itself ,is everything available ,macs,carpenter etc?,its an 8BA engine ,thanks again folks....jim.

TomO    -- 03-31-2013 @ 11:27 AM
  All of the parts except the fuel pump stand should be available from Mac's, C& G, Dennis Carpenter, etc.

You may be able to source them in the UK as well. These parts were used on Canadian trucks and French trucks. Check with a local parts supplier.

You should be able to find a pressure regulator locally also.

The points in the distributor might have some corrosion on them from the sea trip. I would give them a cleaning if your spark is weak.

Tom

fsacht    -- 04-04-2013 @ 7:04 AM
  Just going through some old threads and came upon your problem. I've got a few flathead Ford/Mercury; one 8BA. We assune you have spark to the plugs. Every one I have or had ('42-' 49) , if it doesn't start right away I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor and keep it there. Then press the starter button for about 5 second and stop, wait a couple seconds and do that again, all the while keeping my gas pedal to the floor. After four to six of these tries they fire up. I keep my pedal to the floor for a couple second to let the fuel clear out. The choke knob is pushed in fully while I do this. On all of them at initial start I follow the owners manual that tells me to pull out the choke knob, crank till it starts and then push choke in to a point where it runs smoothly. By now you probably have your F1 going, but something for future reference.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5876